Common Depths of play pools help

tkutch

May 2, 2010
This is my first post but will have many in the future. We are getting a pool built at our house and decided on a play pool. One where we can play sports (volleyball and basketball). However we would like it deep enough where we dont scap our knees. So I need to get some advice on depths that people recommend. Right now we are looking at 3 depths in the pool of 4ft, 5ft, 4.5ft. In those order on the pool. But remember we have NO prior knowledge on this. So please let me know what you guys think before its built.

We chose to do 5.5 feet in the middle, with 3.5 at the stairs and 4.5 at the other end. Went with the 5.5 depth as we are taller than average. After the gunite was shot we realized we made a big mistake by walking around in the shell with a laser level to simulate the water level at night.

A majority of the pool was over 5 feet deep, and the parts that were not too deep were too steep to stand on comfortably. We ended up having about 20% of the pool being useable.

There are a lot of variables such as pool size, shape, the way the crew forms the bottom, etc. Based on my experience I would recommend a max depth of 5 feet. Anything deeper and people can't stand up and hang out, but it is too shallow to dive into. I would also recommend being around they day they shoot the gunite and checking depths / slopes. If you want more gunite when the truck is onsite it is cheap. Having the truck come back out costs a lot since they have a minimum charge.

We decided to spend an extra 2k to have the gunite crew come back and fill it in. Well worth it.

We went with 3', 4' & 5' for our depths. The pool is still under construction but we modeled it after a friends pool as far as the depths go. 5' is deep enough for the kids to jump off the water feature and the rest of the pool is shallow enough to just hang out in and shoot some hoops.

Thanks for all the replys. Yes my pool is called a sports pool not a play pool. My fault. It looks like we are getting a 3.5x5x4.5. they said we should go 3.5 due to the drastic drop since we did tanning ledge instead of beach entry. My wife wanted this and we have 2 younger kids. I was really worried since we never had a pool and was afraid it may be to shallow. But it looks like we made the right call with all the responses.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to upload an image off my computer. I tried through the add file but the image is to large. I will play with it later to figure it out. I am only on day 2. We have the pool dug. All Rebar in and right now they are running the electrical and plumbing. Gunite should happen Thursday or Friday.

You can go to photobucket and create a free account and post the pictures on there... They have a sharing tab and then it gives you an image link for forums... Just copy and past into the posting from that! Good luck on your pool building days! I bet your counting down the days til the water is delievered!

101_3884.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for the reply. For the life of me I couldnt get it to work now I got it. I will add more pictures throught the day. We are a lot further along than this picture now. Today they are doing the coping of flagstone and waterfall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.