Shock weekly? Do I have to?

No, as long as you maintain your levels properly there is no need to shock weekly. We recommend shocking only if FC goes to zero, if there is visible algae, or if there is obvious organic contamination of the water.

Many places recommend weekly shocking because they assume that you are going to ignore the pool during the week and let the levels get out of range and then need things cleaned up for the weekend.

I thought so. (or at least figured they were looking to sell more product.)

The weekend is when I'll use it most. I may do an overnight FC loss test on Sunday night, just to see how hard the pool was handled. Then I could do a small shock to the pool if necessary before the wife and I go to work.

JasonLion said:
Many places recommend weekly shocking because they assume that you are going to ignore the pool during the week and let the levels get out of range and then need things cleaned up for the weekend.

They also recommend this frequency because this allows them to make more money off of you since you are buying lots of bags of so-called "shock".

You will find that most who go the BBB route rarely have to shock. I have had to do it once and that was because I dropped the ball and let the FC get to zero.

Nope, haven't shocked for last three openings... haven't needed to-still had FC left from winterization.

If your water is clear but your FC is zero, raise the FC up to your "target" for your CYA level, and then do an overnight test. If it's holding, and the CC is .5 or less, you don't need to shock.

ditto...I just ran my pool rover under the winter cover and tested afterwards FC =6.5 and no CC's :whoot: ...can't wait for things to warm up a bit and get that cover off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.