Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Best time to run filter, day or night?

Best time to run filter, day or night?

Hello Everyone, I run my filter 12 hours out of a day but is day or night better?
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

Re: Best time to run filter, day or night?

I think running it at night helps keep my levels more in line, but lately I've been running it 24 hours to ensure it stays clean.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

Personal preference really. I like mine to be running when someone is in the pool. I also like it to be running for at least an hour after I add chemicals to it and this is usually in the evening. I'll run mine from 12:00 noon to about 9:00 p.m.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Running the pump during the day is every so slightly better for the pool. But there are many other factors that might influence when you run the pump that might over-ride that. For example, if you have time of day based electric rates, you will want to run the pump during off peak periods, which is typically at night.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thanks for the replies I add my chemicals at night so I've been running the filter at night as well. I was thinking not only do the chemicals need to be mixed well but I was thinking since it's cooler at night it would be less stressful on the pump/filter motor. But of course after swimmers I'll let it run for a few hours. Just wasn't sure if there was a must rule I should be following but common sense seems to be the rule. Thanks guys!
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

I'm thinking of doing a 6 on/6 off schedule. I also figured it would be good to be filtering while people swam.

Currently my timer has only 1 on and 1 off. Are there timers that can give me more control?
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

We have solar panels on our pump so obviously the pump must run during daylight hours to warm up the pool.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

I run ours in three sessions spaced around the clock. That way it never goes very long without having the water circulated. A solar heater will dictate when you run it during the day and if you use it for cooling, some nights as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by mkenyon2
    I'm thinking of doing a 6 on/6 off schedule. I also figured it would be good to be filtering while people swam.

Currently my timer has only 1 on and 1 off. Are there timers that can give me more control?
    What kind of timer? You can add extra trippers to most mechanical timers and most digital timers can be programmed for more than one on-off per day. If it is an Intermatic, many, if not most, electrical supply houses will have the trippers.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

I'll have to look more closely. Thanks.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

When I bought my house in Nevada last August the pool company that took care of the pool weakly had set it for daytime and put a check sheet inside the timer cover and a old pencil on top on the timer I just assuemd people ran em during the day. I have observed the following pro cons for day night
    Day pros:
    Solar free heating! needs the daylight.
    It's running when you go to check levels and add chemicals.
    Stagnate water is avoided, something with the sun beating down on a body of water that is still for hours.....
    If you have a water feature its on when people are swimming during the day, spa spill over ect.
    Your awake or outside to hear a skimmer sucking air or pump whinning needing attention.

Night pros:
    If you get a break on electr. at night you could save $$
    Your automatic cleaner can do its business so you can enjoy the pool during the day without it in the way.
    Your pump won't run near as hot in the cool night air as apposed to during the day the sun is beating on it.
    ( A nice elderly woman at "Swim In Pool Supply Co. on S. Main St. told me this) and that the life on a pump in Vegas will be grately reduced due to heat. Also never run it in the rain as the vent slots at the bottom will pull water into the pump anf damage it. This is food for thought, 2 good points.
    The backyard is quieter for your daytime enjoyment

Thats all i can think of
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

I found more on/off triggers at the dreaded pool store. I could not find them at Lowe's or Homedepot.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

Getting different reviews on when to run the pool filter. I would think daytime would be better but I need more feedback also I have 2 speeds hi and low. Which should I use. Thanks high or low and when should I run the pump. By the way if it wasn't for this site I wouldn t have had a great pool weekend
    26x46 Inground Pool SWG 36,000 gallons vinyl liner with 12' cement walls. cement steps, vamiculite bottom through out pool.Bio guard SWG ms-10 system, Mini max NT Gas Heater,Pentair Cartridge Filter CCP4200, pentair whisper Flo Pump 2/.33 hp.

Just a voice of experience here. We also have a two speed pump and a solar heater. We run the pump on high during the day with the solar heater "on", and then turn the pump on low and run it the rest of the time. If we don't need the heater, the pump stays on low. So our pump is on 24/7. I know that might seem like overkill, but we tried to turn the pump off overnight, but were not happy with the condition of the water. Nothing scientific, just our experience.
    21' above ground round; 11,500 gal; cartridge filter; two-speed Jacuzzi pump; roof-mounted solar heater; northern Ohio.

It also depends on where your pump is located and how big your lot is, I'm not sure I could get away with running my pump during the night even though it is variable speed and relatively quiet. We have a very quiet neighborhood and everyone makes sure noise is limited to ~9-5pm, I run my pump 7:30am-7:30pm and that is probably as much as I can get away with. In any case, we have solar heating so daytime is required. If I changed anything, it would be to have the pump start later...which would allow me to visually inspect the bottom of the pool better at the start of the day. No one here swims before 9-10am so we could move the pump start time back from 7:30am to 9am.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

Senior Member In the Industry

I run mine during the day, only because that is when we swim. I HAVE to have the skimmers running due to the insect life here in Mississippi (or so my wife says).
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

I run mine during the day until I want to cool the water down in midsummer. Then I run it at night with the homemade fountain on.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

I've determined that I need to run mine about 9 hours per day. It really doesn't matter that much which 9 hours I run it - I suppose if I was really electric $ sensitive I would run it between 9 PM and 10 AM (for the marginally lower TOU rates and not worrying about peak demand charge). I really like it to be running while I'm swimming, so I would turn it on while swimming anyways.

And yes, I would also like to get some more Intermatic trips (both on and off). Failing that - it would be nice to get one like the one on my water heater (electronic timer)
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Nature2 Express , Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter