New Pump Advice

Jun 12, 2009
Alexandria, VA
Hey guys,
It is yet another pool season (my 2nd now) and last year everyone was extrememly helpful getting me up and running when I knew absolutely nothing about pool care. So far this season, it has seemed almost too easy getting the pool open and in correct chemical balance - that is, until this weekend.

It appears the pump has died and repeatedly overheats and shuts off. At first, I thought the impellar was clogged, so I removed it, but found nothing. My only other thought is that the bearings need replacement. However, as I am renting, this becomes the landlord's problem. Assuming he decides to replace the pump, I was curious what you would recommend.

I currently have a Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP, and it takes about 8 hours to completely cycle the 65,000 gallon pool. It is about $310 to buy the same pump off of Amazon and I figure I could use the existing plumbing and pump housing and just replace everything downline of the diffuser. My only complaint about this pump so far has been the noise, but I'm not sure if other pumps will run quieter or not. However, the idea of a multispeed or 2 speed pump intrigues me. Do you really see a significant decrease in electric bills by running a multispeed pump? Are they quieter?

I would love to hear everyone's opinion, as well as suggestions on manufacturers and models.

Thanks,
Wesley

Yes, a two speed pump run on low speed for twice as long will save a significant amount of electricity. Real life savings are usually around 1/3 of your current electrical usage eliminated. Low speed will also be much quieter than high speed/single speed.

Some pumps are quieter than others, though the differences aren't all that large.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.