Chlorine vs. Bleach

npholt1

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2010
First off, I feel fortunate to stumble across this site after dumping $$$ at a local pool store for chemicals :rant:
Now, I am stuck on the math of Big R liquid "pool shock" (10% chlorine) vs walmart bleach (6%). The shock goes for $2.25/gallon and the bleach for $1.79/gallon or $2.54/1.42 gallon. If I am guestimating correctly, I would need 5 gallons of bleach to match what would be in 3 gallons of the shock (is this correct thinking?). Therefore, it would cost me $6.50 for shock and $8.96 for an equivalent amount of chlorine in bleach form.

Please correct me if wrong!!!

Thanks

npholt1 said:
First off, I feel fortunate to stumble across this site after dumping $$$ at a local pool store for chemicals :rant:
Now, I am stuck on the math of Big R liquid "pool shock" (10% chlorine) vs walmart bleach (6%). The shock goes for $2.25/gallon and the bleach for $1.79/gallon or $2.54/1.42 gallon. If I am guestimating correctly, I would need 5 gallons of bleach to match what would be in 3 gallons of the shock (is this correct thinking?). Therefore, it would cost me $6.50 for shock and $8.96 for an equivalent amount of chlorine in bleach form.

Please correct me if wrong!!!

Thanks
Exactly, 3 gallons of 10% equals 5 gallons of 6%. Clearly where you are, the 10% is the better deal.
--paulr

chem geek said:
Note that most bleach is sold in either 3/4 gallons or 1-1/2 gallon containers and not in 1 gallon containers.

Exactly, note that I mentioned what is above in the OP. Breakdown came 1.4 cents per fl oz for bleach and 1.7 cents for chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.