Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Chlorine vs. Bleach

Chlorine vs. Bleach

First off, I feel fortunate to stumble across this site after dumping $$$ at a local pool store for chemicals
    Now, I am stuck on the math of Big R liquid "pool shock" (10% chlorine) vs walmart bleach (6%). The shock goes for $2.25/gallon and the bleach for $1.79/gallon or $2.54/1.42 gallon. If I am guestimating correctly, I would need 5 gallons of bleach to match what would be in 3 gallons of the shock (is this correct thinking?). Therefore, it would cost me $6.50 for shock and $8.96 for an equivalent amount of chlorine in bleach form.

Please correct me if wrong!!!

Thanks
    15000 Gallon AG Vinyl
    Cartridge
    1.5 HP pump
    Pontiac, IL

Re: Chlorine vs. Bleach

Check out the pool calculator on this site it is very helpful in figuring out what you need for chlorine.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

Quote Originally Posted by npholt1
    First off, I feel fortunate to stumble across this site after dumping $$$ at a local pool store for chemicals
    Now, I am stuck on the math of Big R liquid "pool shock" (10% chlorine) vs walmart bleach (6%). The shock goes for $2.25/gallon and the bleach for $1.79/gallon or $2.54/1.42 gallon. If I am guestimating correctly, I would need 5 gallons of bleach to match what would be in 3 gallons of the shock (is this correct thinking?). Therefore, it would cost me $6.50 for shock and $8.96 for an equivalent amount of chlorine in bleach form.

Please correct me if wrong!!!

Thanks
    Exactly, 3 gallons of 10% equals 5 gallons of 6%. Clearly where you are, the 10% is the better deal.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

Note that most bleach is sold in either 3/4 gallons or 1-1/2 gallon containers and not in 1 gallon containers.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Note that most bleach is sold in either 3/4 gallons or 1-1/2 gallon containers and not in 1 gallon containers.
    Exactly, note that I mentioned what is above in the OP. Breakdown came 1.4 cents per fl oz for bleach and 1.7 cents for chlorine.
    15000 Gallon AG Vinyl
    Cartridge
    1.5 HP pump
    Pontiac, IL