Solar panel install.

hanau

Apr 20, 2008
I started my install on the solar panel and thought i would share on how i did my install.
I asked before and looked at the pictures that where posted .
This is what i cam up with.

Fafco 4 ft X 20 ft panel.

Building the platform 5ft x 22 ft

The 4 x 4 are buried about 18". and the short side 2x4 is about 34" above the ground.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDEtMjAxMDA1MDEtMTgxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDItMjAxMDA1MDEtMTgxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDQtMjAxMDA1MDEtMjAxM.jpg

i am about 25 ft away from the pool.

Didn't get a chance to take pics today but will post them tomorrow.
I need to go out and find some wire clamps because the hose i used leaks at the hose barbs.

Figures it would want to rain. I plan on doing some temp. test this coming week and seewhat type of water temp i gain from the panel.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDYtMjAxMDA1MDMtMTIxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDctMjAxMDA1MDMtMTIxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDUtMjAxMDA1MDMtMTIxN.jpg

You can see the tie down straps one at each end and one in the middle.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTEtMjAxMDA1MDMtMTQwM.jpg

looks good :goodjob: The only thing I would suggest is to add a 1x2 lip at the bottom so the panel does not slip down and pehaps some tie downs in case of a strong wind gust.

How big is your pool? Do you cover it at night to retain the heat? Will that one panel be enough? I'd be interested in hearing how well your setup works for your pool - I'm not sure where you live so don't know how cool it gets at night. Good luck.

I have a 18ft pool according to Fafco info. one panel is good up to 24 ft. and i hope that is all i need.
I live in North Carolina and where i have the panel at it should get sun for 5-6 hrs a day and be in the sun at the hottest part of the day.

I currently don't have a solar cover for it but plan on getting one. Have to figure a easy way for the wife to take it off and put it on in the evening since i work 2nd shift.

For an 18ft pool that probably is adequate if your nights are not too cool - there are calculations that are used to determine how much panel coverage you need based on your water surface, etc. You will lose so much of the heat during the evenings without a cover. Check Craigs List for a used reel or build one off the end - you will never regret having the cover. The reel will make it easy to put on and take off - ours is a one person easy operation. The panel will make the water feel so much more enjoyable and comfortable. Good luck!

been having a problem since putting the panel in the water was starting to cloud up.
I ran the pump 2 hrs before the panel was turn on. Then ran the solar about 6-8 hrs than about 4 more hrs in bypass.

I had to run the pump in bypass of the solar panel and it took a day or two to clear up.

Figure since the panel was about 25 ft away from the pool that i didn't have enough pressure to keep the water filtering.
I installed a Pentair 1.5" PVC, 3-Way Diverter Valve from
http://www.westsidewholesale.com/1-5-pv ... tside.html

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDItMjAxMDA1MTYtMTk0N.jpg

Now i have to figure out how to get a actuator and get it hooked up to a timer.

I stumbled upon a less costly (but perhaps somewhat less attractive) option last year when setting up my AGP and panels. Six surplus wooden shipping pallets bolted together are just the right size to serve as a rack for the fafco 4 * 20 panels. The pallets can often be found for free from stores that consider them to be trash. Some 2x4s or 4x4s can be used as posts to angle one side of the rack higher. Of course you've gotta pick out your pallets carefully to avoid split wood, staples, nails, or other sharp points that could potentially damage the panels. And unlike treated lumber, you may have to replace the pallets every few years unless you seal the wood.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MittenState said:
How much did the materials cost you? We are thinking of using wood also to build our mount but are not sure how much money we're looking at.
I think it was some wheres between $200-300 for everything.
I bought something i didn't need and took back and had to buy a few things after my first purchase that i didn't realize till after.
it is 5 feet by 22 feet

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.