Noob Pool Owner with Questions

castanw

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2010
San Marcos, CA
We recently purchased a home in San Marcos, CA with a pool. We know nothing about pools, except how to swim in them.

So I have a few questions:

FC - 5 (tested with AquaCheck Select because chlorine powder missing from TF-100)
CC - 5 (also with AquaCheck)
pH - 8.0
TA - 160
CH - 430
CYA - 45

I am going to be purchasing acid to lower pH.

I purchased a Hayward Pool Vac, it says to backwash the filter before attaching pool vac for the first time. My pressure is at 14, do I need to backwash first?

Also I think I have 2 filters attached to the pool, one is a DE filter and the other is a cartridge filter. They both have a pump, but only the de filter is turned on with the remote system. The home inspector only listed a de filter associated with the pool. I will attach a picture.

The spa water is circulated with the pool water, do I need to do anything differently?

Can I still manage a CH of 430, I don't want to drain the pool and I have read about R/O, but would like to postpone that for as long as possible.

I can't think of anymore questions at this time, but I am sure I will have more. I will try and attach a few photos.

Thanks so much,

Stephanie (pool noob)

[attachment=2:3d4vvo4f]P1020477.jpg[/attachment:3d4vvo4f]
[attachment=1:3d4vvo4f]P1020478.jpg[/attachment:3d4vvo4f]
[attachment=0:3d4vvo4f]pool1.jpg[/attachment:3d4vvo4f]

Attachments

• P1020477.jpg
    P1020477.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 73
  • P1020478.jpg
    P1020478.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 73
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 73
Can I still manage a CH of 430,
Yes. You will want to keep your pH down around 7.2-7.4 and I would suggest lowering the TA down to 80-100. That will reduce the chances of calcium scaling. Test your CH every month or so. You do not want to let it get much higher and it may. Do you know the CH of your fill water? Can you add fill water to your pool from a softened water source?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.