Goldline Aqua Plus "No Cell Power"

May 2, 2010
Can someone point me in the right direction to find info on troubleshooting this. The manuals and Goldline/Hayward websites don't give any detail as to what the cause or solution to this error could be. Thanks in advance!!

Thanks for the great suggestions and taking the time to respond. I tried looking through the discussion threads but I guess I didn't dig deep enough. I'll update when I get a solution.

No success. Well I did see what appeared to be a burned solder joint; applied some solder to it but still getting "no cell power" indication (following insturctions on nocellpower.com). I saw where someone said there may be another repair for this (other than replacing the entire board). Any other suggestions? Should I have tried to clean of the old solder before applying additional? Thanks for the input.

Just stumbled across this thread - funny that I had the same problem on our old pool but didn't know about the forum at that time - I noticed that if I pushed on the relay it would click and all was well - pulled out the board and saw the burned up solder joint on the backside.

I too was unable to solder the joint back to the board and get good contact, just too much damage, howoever if you look at the layout of the board you will see that "post" is connected to a couple other posts via the trace on the board. I soldered a jumper wire from the affected post to the larger post above it effectively bypassing the trace on the board. I wish I had taken pictures, but if you look at the board you will see a large power wire feeding into the larger post, that is the one you want to tap into and jumper from it to the burned up one.

I attached the photo from the website mentioned above with where I placed the jumper wire from my best recollection. If you have a multimeter you should have continuity between those two points in the picture. If you do have continuity and still have problems then it is somewhere else - possibly the relay itself. Ours worked for the next couple years until we moved.

[attachment=0:3qfo8mea]solder.jpg[/attachment:3qfo8mea]

Steve

Attachments

• solder.jpg
    solder.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 615

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just stumbled across this thread - funny that I had the same problem on our old pool but didn't know about the forum at that time - I noticed that if I pushed on the relay it would click and all was well - pulled out the board and saw the burned up solder joint on the backside.

I too was unable to solder the joint back to the board and get good contact, just too much damage, howoever if you look at the layout of the board you will see that "post" is connected to a couple other posts via the trace on the board. I soldered a jumper wire from the affected post to the larger post above it effectively bypassing the trace on the board. I wish I had taken pictures, but if you look at the board you will see a large power wire feeding into the larger post, that is the one you want to tap into and jumper from it to the burned up one.

I attached the photo from the website mentioned above with where I placed the jumper wire from my best recollection. If you have a multimeter you should have continuity between those two points in the picture. If you do have continuity and still have problems then it is somewhere else - possibly the relay itself. Ours worked for the next couple years until we moved.

[attachment=0:3qfo8mea]solder.jpg[/attachment:3qfo8mea]

Steve
Thank you, I have managed to make the solder trick work three times in 10 years now, it took three attempts to make it work this time. make sure you heat up the post sticking through the back of the board on the opposite side and apply the solder to the other so it isn't "cold" bit I will keep this trick in mind for the next failure.

The no power site is no longer up. Does anyone have the info still, or is there another link I can go to? I replaced the cell earlier this summer and now this. The cell is under warranty so I need to make sure it's not the cell and if I can cheaply fix the board then I'll do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

On my system, I had to clean all of the surfaces with a wire brush on a Dremel tool before I could get the solder to take. I believe that the problem may lay with the coating on the relay post or wire.

Thank you so much for this information!!! We had this problem happen to us just before closing last season and had no idea what the reason was. But after reading this thread we decided to try and fix it on our own this spring. We also put together a step-by-step guide so we know the steps if it happens again. If you are interested, here is a link to our guide: https://app.box.com/s/g5nxqiuzh7wf6a1jvrr6dg7qqsiw4z82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.