Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My conversion is almost over, one more question

1. Back To Top    #1

My conversion is almost over, one more question

The pea soup in my pool is gone and I think that the end is near. before I dump the salt into my pool, do I have to have everything else (PH, CYA, etc) on target or add the salt first?

Thanks,
    Roberto

P.S. Boy, I was getting nervous with the site down!
    Long time BaquaXXX user and hating it,
    15X30 AG, 11,000GAL, Hayward Xtreme filter, SWG in place, conversion almost over!

2. Back To Top    #2
    How is the water? crystal?
    Is your FC of 15 holding overnight?
    Have you changed out your filter media?

I would get the pH and TA in line first while adding your CYA.
    Keep using bleach to sanitize.
    Do you have your SWG? I don't remember. If not, just wait on the salt. It dissolves really fast anyhow,. like in a couple hours.

We were still here, just not able to do as much as usual!!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    You can do the salt more or less any time you want. It helps to be able to see the bottom, so you can brush the salt around a little and keep it from forming any large piles, but it usually disolves so quickly that that isn't crucial.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Coversion almost over

Mermaid Queen,

The water is very blue but hazy and when I wash the filter cartridge it still has a little green stuff (algae?) and it holds 15 FC overnight but not during sunlight. During the hot part of the day it will drop to 0 if i let it.

Should I do a couple more days of shocking?

Is it supposed to hold FC of 15 around the clock?

My Aqua Trol came in yesterday, and its already installed, I have the salt and the rest of the stuff. I am ready to start with the salt, but I am not sure that the water is ready for that. I also got a TFT kit.

Thanks,
    Roberto
    15X30 AG, 11,000GAL, Hayward Xtreme filter, SWG in place, conversion almost over!

5. Back To Top    #5
    You just need to hold a FC level overnight, losses during the day are to be expected.

You can go ahead and start adding the salt and other chemicals while the filter is finishing up clearing the water. Once you get your CYA level right you shouldn't lose nearly as much FC during the day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Sounds like you are good to go!! With no CYA, I would also expect your FC to drop to nothing in the sunlight!

Don't forget you WILL need a new cartridge when this is over! bummer, I know

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Conversion almost over

Folks,

Thank you for all that good advice, I am adding the salt and the rest of the chemicals now. I do have a new filter cartridge that I am going to use with the salt. What about the old one? is it worth cleaning, or do I just trash it?

Roberto

8. Back To Top    #8
    I am not so familiar with cartridge filters, but it is my understanding that the baquagoo that you filtered out of your pool can never completely be cleaned out of the sand/de/cartridge, and will use up your FC and generally cause little annoyances in the future.

Maybe someone else has a different idea...

9. Back To Top    #9
    I would trash the old cartridge. Goo from the Baquacil will almost always have gotten stuck to the filter material making it impossible to truly clean it.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Ditto what Grace and Jason said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School