Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris booster pump fitting return is stuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris booster pump fitting return is stuck

So the return that the pool uses for the polaris has the Universal Wall Fitting (UWF) in place but I can not unscrew it to get it out of the hole. The piece i used was from the bucket of supplies that came with the new home purchase that the last owner left. Obviously this universal wall fitting was a old and worn because when I did try manually unscrew it by turning it to the left part of the plastic cracked off on 2 spots.
    So now when I hook up the polaris it will move around and work the pool. there is water pusing out on these 2 spots that is degrading the pressure to the polaris. So my question is does anyone have a idea of how to get this broken fitting out of the pool wall. The pool has a vinyl liner. Thanks in advance....
    18 x 36 kidney bean IG vinyl pool.
    Hayward PRO™ Series High Rate Sand Filter model S244T
    Hayward super pump ( will update the specs tomorrow)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris booster pump fitting return is stuck

also.. it obviously can't climb the wall lacking this needed pressure...

3. Back To Top    #3

I broke mine once for much the same reason.... managed to find channel-lock pliers big enough to fit around it. That got out the broken bit (and tore up the piece it went into... luckily not the part embedded in the wall!). Put in a new UWF and the Polaris is all happy now.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

resolved. used a universal wall fitting inverse piece and it came right out.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Shiney69rr,

Can you let me know where you found/bought this "universal wall fitting inverse piece" from?

I also need to unscrew that UWF so that I can put a different connector in its place.

Thank you.

6. Back To Top    #6

The plastic piece in the universal housing broke and I can't get the rest of the pieces out. Any suggestions?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 105ex
    Hi Shiney69rr,

Can you let me know where you found/bought this "universal wall fitting inverse piece" from?

I also need to unscrew that UWF so that I can put a different connector in its place.

Thank you.
    I ended up using a wire stripper that has a flat but wide enough head (like http://www.wanderingfree.com/wp-content ... pliers.jpg) when you separate the handle. The head then latches on to the grooves in the UWF and I could actually turn it loose.

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks! We'll give it a try

9. Back To Top    #9

I checked with the pool people and I got my Universal valve out was with a hack saw blade. I gently cut two small areas and then used a small flat head screw driver and a hammer to tap it out. It popped right out!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks a lot to the ideas. I tried channel-lock pliers, wire stripper and needle nose pliers. The needle nose pliers work for me.