going on vacation for 10 days what do I do about my pool?

May 12, 2009
Okay guess so I just got my pool open and it looks great however I will be going on vacation the end of May for 10 days and I am concerned about leaving my pool. Last year I was on Baquagoo and didn't really do much, but this is my first season leaving with the BBB method. All my numbers are perfect my questions are as follows---

we leave are pump on 24/7 so should I check my levels the night before I leave, shock and cover with our solar cover? I have some one coming to check water levels, but I don't have anyone who knows anything about chemicals?

I do have some Pool Life solid tablets should I put those in skimmer before I leave and just leave uncovered?

Help, I am so worried and don't really want to hire our local pool store to monitor the pool.

10 days is kinda of a while. If it were 3 or 4 days, I would say shock it and cover it. But since it is 10 days, I would put some tablets in a floater and leave it uncovered. Anyone else agree or disagree?

I agree, 10 days is really a long time for shock-and-cover.

It's hard to tell from their website but I'm guessing the Pool Life tabs are trichlor. In that case, they are ideal for vacations, preferably in a floating dispenser. Putting them in the skimmer is a poor second choice, although as long as the pump is on 24/7 it should be okay.
--paulr

Have you figured out your usual Chlorine consumption yet? If so, couldn't you just ask a neighbor to come over and pour in a jug on day 5 or something? Anyone who might want to ensure an invitation to come swimming on some scorching day in August will do.

The best choice is to get someone to come over and help take care of the pool while you are gone. If that is impossible, put in a trichlor floater set to it's lowest/slowest setting and cover the pool.

Actually i didn't get that one till last year, when my trip was only 7 days. The 2 prior years I took 11 day and 9 day trips respectively and it was with the cheapy 6 ml light blue cover. The 11 day trip I had a friend add bleach on day 7 and the 9 day trip in 2008 I added none and came back to FC of 4. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.