Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Almost stable and looking good

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Almost stable and looking good

I just wanted to say that as of today I am almost stable on my pool
    The water looks great
    Feels good
    Girlfriend says it looks good and thats not an easy thing to get out of her.

Only thing is that my phosphates are running high. Around 300 to 400.
    Ive been told not to worry too much about it on here, but Im kinda "I wont say that a word but more compulsive about it )

The latest before adjustments

ph 7.8 (added a bit of acid)
    FC 6 (adding a bit of chlorine)
    CC 0
    CH 250
    CYA 50
    TA 210
    Phosphates 400 +/- 50

Whats the best way to keep phosphates down? I am cleanning the filter 2 times a week. (its what I do)
    Im not really sure why they are increasing. It hasnt been a heavy user load this week. Its warm in the mid to high 80's
    Not a lot of rain this week.

any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Cupertino, CA

Re: Almost stable and looking good

If you look here:
    FC 6 is right on target for CYA 50, so really you don't have anything to fuss with.

Phosphates likewise you don't have to fuss with. Pool stores will talk up how they are "algae food" but really with an adequate FC level you'll never see algae and never have to think about phosphates. (Even if you do get algae, you don't have to think about phosphates, you just shock to kill the algae.)
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'd worry more about TA. And I'm not even one of those colonic personalities.

I have no clue what my phosphate level is - never been tested since I bought the place 7 months ago. Why not test your tap water and see what the phosphate level is in that? Then you'll see if you're worried about nothing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Ignore the phosphates - just keep your FC level above the "min" at all times for your CYA.

In this post, you said your TA is 110, so is the above a typo?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner