Has anyone tried something called the Metchlor Chlorinator?

Never tried it, but it does look interesting. They are feeding liquid chlorine, apparently depending on the pump suction to draw the chlorine out of a storage container. The only part of their system I wonder about is the valve that turns it on and off. I have never seem an electrically controlled valve that can actually stand up to chlorine. If they have solved that problem, it could be a good unit.

If the top of the carboy is a different size, there is a problem.

If the carboy sits in the sun, there is a problem with lost potency.

The addition of liquid before a heater is a problem.

If the timer doesn't have some sort of battery back up, there is a problem with Metchlor.

I don't see a bond lug. Potential problem with Metchlor.

Scott

I know of someone who has tried the Metchlor Chlorinator on their in-ground heated pool in combination with a copper/silver ion generator and were pleased with it. I took a look at the system and found out the following; the timer supplied has a battery back-up on it, there was no problem adding liquid chlorine to their pool through the heater since the unit was on for only 15 minutes a day in the evening, the system can be adapted to a variety of liquid chlorine carboy designs, with the exception of the timer, the entire system can be located outside, while the timer has to be in a dry location but can be up to 50 feet away from the solenoid operated valve; have to put your carboy in the sun, cover it with an opaque cover and that will help with the liquid chlorine stability issue!

I had it for the last 7 years for my 18 foot above ground pool and I am very happy with it. It is fully automatic, I just add liquid chlorine every month, I don't add algaecide or other chemicals except stabilizer for the chlorine. When I leave for vacation I can rely on the system, I just have to make sure that the neighbor checks the water level. I never had algae buildup or other problems. Can only recommend the system. It is backed up by batteries in case of power failure and it is a very simple system that everybody can understand, install and maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.