Water dribbling from backwash port!

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
This is our first year with an inground pool. We have a 9 year old, Jacuzzi 250L Sand Filter w/Cygnet 1hp motor and pump. Yesterday I noticed a small stream of water coming from the backwash port while the filter is in 'filter' mode. I don't think this is normal. It's more than a drip...it's a small steady stream. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you mean. This is all new to me. The top of the filter has a 7 position handle that spins a diverter inside the cover. "Backwash" is one of the 7 positions, and the backwash water exits the top of the filter from a separate opening that is 90 degrees from the normal return to the pool when the filter is in the nornal "filter" position.

Most likely you need to replace your multiport gasket. Fairly cheap and not a big job. Get your valve part number and go to a pool store or look online.

edweather said:
There is a rubber square ring gasket in the valve body. I'm assuming that this is the one you are talking about? Thanks.

Without knowing what brand of filter you have, I can't be sure, but you are looking for something like this:
X-PertPool-SpiderGasket.jpg

I gotta agree with John, the spider gasket/ wagon wheel is the probable cause.

The one John shows looks like a Hayward SP 710XD, which will fit a Hayward multiport with 1.5" ports. :)

As long as you're in there, make sure the channels it fits in are not broken :wink:

Please keep us posted, especially with the multiport model #.

(As a quick and dirty fix: plug the backwash port so you're not loosing water :mrgreen: )

OK, the multiport is a Jacuzzi #39263009. I can't find much online with that # at all, but I've found #39262803 which looks like the same thing. From what I hear, Jacuzzi stuff is getting harder to find. I haven't found a diverter (spider) gasket online, but I found a repair kit for the 39262803 which has the diverter and gasket & some other stuff, for about $50. I'm going to check around locally tomorrow. Before I do any of this, I should probably look at the existing gasket and maybe get a part # off of it. We have 4 good pool places in the Syracuse area. Thanks. I'll keep you posted. Update: Found a lot of sites to buy spider gaskets, but none are an easy match for mine....I need to take a good look at mine first and go from there....to be continued.

OK....UPDATE.....Good news and bad news. The good news is that I found the gasket. The only way to buy it is with the diverter, and it's pre-installed and can't be removed. I'm ok with that. The bad news is that I can't figure out how to get the existing handle/cover/spring/diverter apart. The handle looks rivited on and I can't see any other way to take it apart. There must be a way. I've sent emails to the two places I'm in contact with to see if the repair kits come with instructions. Help please. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Job done! I was fortunate. The local pool place, Tarson Pools, who built our pool, took apart a new valve they had and sold me the diverter w/gasket out if it. They charged me $31, and they saved me from having to buy a diverter rebuild kit for $50-$60. The Jacuzzi part # for the 6/7 way dial valve diverter repair kit is 39251509K. It took me about 20min. to install it and now the dial valve works like a charm......smooth as silk, w/no leak from the backwash port. Before the repair the dial valve was really hard to turn...not now.

I can not tell you how much this site and in particular this topic has helped resolve my problem. I was given a 18x33 oval pool 6 months ago, there was no way i could have afforded one myself. For the last 12 years, without fail, i have had a pool for my kids. As they get older i would move up to the next size, so i wasnt a complete idiot servicing and maintaining a pool. However, this GIGANTIC pool :party: has been a challenge from the get go. I won't bore you on all the details but besides the problem with water leaking ( would spend 15 minutes after each backwash resetting and resetting just to get a acceptable dribble)from backwash, in the last week it was getting near to impossible to turn the valve. So after hours of reading, research and more reading, I read this post and well rolled up my sleves.....So here I am a half hour later not only is my handle turning smoothly,,,,, I now no longer have ANY leak out backwash. Its amazing what a little vaseline (gasket)and some cleaning (carborator cleaner around spring and under handle) will do. But mostly your info and directions is what got the job done.....Thanx guys(girls), I needed something to finally go smoothly with this pool!!!!!! Now back out to the pool to deal with this algae, Lord knows I've put enough shock n sock in it to clean all of ocala :-(

Welcome to TFP :wave:

If you read through pool school, post a full set of test results...we can help you battle that algae. I'd prefer to see you using liquid chlorine to shock as the shock product your are using may over elevate your CH level and possibly cause cloudiness and calcium scaling.

Thanks edweather. This post is a help to me as I have one of these repair kits on the way to fix this same problem. I'm a little nervous about trying to remove the pin but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Thanks again!

edweather said:
Job done! I was fortunate. The local pool place, Tarson Pools, who built our pool, took apart a new valve they had and sold me the diverter w/gasket out if it. They charged me $31, and they saved me from having to buy a diverter rebuild kit for $50-$60. The Jacuzzi part # for the 6/7 way dial valve diverter repair kit is 39251509K. It took me about 20min. to install it and now the dial valve works like a charm......smooth as silk, w/no leak from the backwash port. Before the repair the dial valve was really hard to turn...not now.

edweather said:
OK....UPDATE.....Good news and bad news. The good news is that I found the gasket. The only way to buy it is with the diverter, and it's pre-installed and can't be removed. I'm ok with that. The bad news is that I can't figure out how to get the existing handle/cover/spring/diverter apart. The handle looks rivited on and I can't see any other way to take it apart. There must be a way. I've sent emails to the two places I'm in contact with to see if the repair kits come with instructions. Help please. Thanks

I need the spider gasket for my 250L. How do I get it out of the diverter? I have a steady stream of water coming out of my backwash port. I'm confused. If I buy the 39251509K will I be able to get the spider gasket out of it and replace the broken one on my 250L multiport.

Hello I have the same sand filter diverter (39263009), and the same issue (backwash leak). I read the post was from 2010, we are now in 2018, so I am curious to know how the repair held over time! I am about to order the repair kit 39251509K as this seems the right repair to do. Any advice welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.