Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cartridge filter suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

cartridge filter suggestions

In my quest to defeat the neverending pollen problem in my pool, I have decided to look for a cartridge filter to replace the sand filter. Pool is a 24ft AGP and I would like to keep the 2 speed 1hp sta rite pump I currently have. I know that alot of you suggest going with a larger than normal filter for the pool size.
    Questions are: What size range should I be looking for? Can I reuse the existing pump(that has its outlet on the top and not the side)? And what brands come recommended?
    The three that I am looking at now are: Hayward Xstream(120sqft 38,400 gal 8 hour filter rate) Pentair clean and clear(100sqft 48,000 gal 8 hr. filter rate) and sta-rite system2(100sqft 48,000gal 8hr) I am seeing these 3 in a Doheny's catalog and they sell filter only as well as filter/pump(which I don't need)
    Thoughts?
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cartridge filter suggestions

I have a StaRite 450 SF cartridge, and I sell a lot of Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 SF filters. Either one of these is a great filter (I know they are bigger than what you are considering, but I would go that route instead of smaller). I have never been a fan of Hayward's products.

Either of those filters would work great with your current pump also.

3. Back To Top    #3

anybody else? I'm not totally sure about sizing the right filter for my pool...
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

What's the max flowrate of your current sand filter? Take that number and as long as the new filter exceeds that number you'll be good. Having said that I'd buy as large a filter as I could afford.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Those strike me as a little small - they will work, just require cleaning more often.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

To go up in size on the filter, It seems like I have to look in the Inground Pool filter section. Is an Inground cartridge filter usable with an AGP and the AGP pump?
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a 150sf Waterway Clearwater cart filter paired with a 2 speed pump. I run it on low 24/7 and I clean the filter every 6-8 weeks. It's for AG pools...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, Doheny's shows a 150 sq ft Pentair Clean and Clear for an AGP. I think that'd work. it's part # 7655. I've got a knockoff Hayward Xstream 150 sq ft, and I have to clean it maybe once a season. Only thing I don't like about it is it uses a back-fitted pressure gauge that's recessed into the unit instead of a bottom-fitted gauge. I've went through three gauges, they all get water in them and fail within a month or two. I was going to go with a glycerin-filled gauge, but finding a back-fitted one with the right scale is kind of difficult. The Pentair unit has a bottom-fitted gauge, which seems like everyone carries. Just MHO.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"