White stuff floating on top of the water

Apr 30, 2010
The pool has been well shocked, however, this white stuff on top seems to be having a problem going throught the skimmer. Have backwashed, rinsed and cleaned the skimmer multiple times. Someone has suggested Flocking It, however, have read that this may not be the best option. Any suggestions?

[attachment=1:ksomu8zu]whitestuff1.jpg[/attachment:ksomu8zu]

[attachment=0:ksomu8zu]whitestuff2.jpg[/attachment:ksomu8zu]

Attachments

• whitestuff1.jpg
    whitestuff1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 398
  • whitestuff2.jpg
    whitestuff2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 396
Looks like dandelion seeds. Are they just not being pulled to the skimmer? How is the water level in the pool relative to the mark on the skimmer (it looks right based on the picture)? Is the skimmer weir able float right at or above the water level? Filter pressure and flow normal?

Flock is not going to help with surface debris.

We are in SC, so heaven knows that there is plenty of pollen in the air. The skimmer is doing a good job of pulling the rest of the debris out of the pool and all the pool levels seem to be correct. I can double check. Looking at skimmer socks.......

I have the same problem right now. I live in Arkansas. Like poolmom says, the knee highs work well. Also, when it gets really bad, I get the water hose and spray over the top of the water which knocks it to the bottom of the pool. Then you can sweep it up once it settles.

Sometimes I turn my return eye up so it breaks the top of the water and it usually gets it all in one section of the pool, then I can run my manual skimmer and try to get some of it.

One thing is...spring won't last forever. :party: :sun: :sun:

Yes, it's that time of year and as jmack1159 said, spring won't last forever. You might just have to do what I do which is make sure your skimmers stay clear enough to have good flow and help things along by using a leaf rake to skim the top when things get really yucky.

Thanks ya'll! I sprayed down the top, but panty hose over the skimmer and started running the fountain to simulate more spraying on the top. Also, moved jets push water under fountain.

[attachment=0:fhrsozfu]fountain.JPG[/attachment:fhrsozfu]

Attachments

• fountain.JPG
    fountain.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 275
I get that same looking stuff. Especially bad after a bit of wind.
I dont know what it is, but it gets everywhere.

Question- when you say it has a problem going through the skimmer - do you mean its moving around the skimmer and not being sucked in- Or do you mean it spits back out after going through the filter loop?

Im pretty sure you mean the first.
Problem with this stuff is any amount of wind just pushes it past the skimmer opening and it gathers on the surface everywhere else.

Problem is when it sinks the full surface area of this Crud is now contaminating your water and using free chlorine- and this makes for nasty dust and ear problems

The only thing I've ever used that gets the majority of this stuff is a dragonfly.
Its very expensive, but the best skimmer I've ever used, and in a high contamination environment- worth it IMO.
It way better than the built in skimmer as it moves around the pool and usually has more surface area.

I did a review on it with video in the cleaners section.

Uncle Dave

Glad to read these responses. We moved to Florida 10 months ago. I am relatively new to pool care and I am very careful about chlorine, ph, alkalinity, calcium, and cyanuric acid levels. I thought the pool had contracted a bizarre disease. Happy that it's "just" pollen. It also explains why my asthma has been really bad. I have a Solar Breeze pool skimmer that is filling with this stuff every 8 hours. It turns to a granular state in the very fine filter. It goes right through the debris net on a pole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.