Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White stuff floating on top of the water

1. Back To Top    #1

White stuff floating on top of the water

The pool has been well shocked, however, this white stuff on top seems to be having a problem going throught the skimmer. Have backwashed, rinsed and cleaned the skimmer multiple times. Someone has suggested Flocking It, however, have read that this may not be the best option. Any suggestions?

[attachment=1:ksomu8zu]whitestuff1.jpg[/attachment:ksomu8zu]

[attachment=0:ksomu8zu]whitestuff2.jpg[/attachment:ksomu8zu]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White stuff floating on top of the water

Looks like dandelion seeds. Are they just not being pulled to the skimmer? How is the water level in the pool relative to the mark on the skimmer (it looks right based on the picture)? Is the skimmer weir able float right at or above the water level? Filter pressure and flow normal?

Flock is not going to help with surface debris.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Kinda looks like pollen. Is it windy where you are? You could try skimmer socks....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

We are in SC, so heaven knows that there is plenty of pollen in the air. The skimmer is doing a good job of pulling the rest of the debris out of the pool and all the pool levels seem to be correct. I can double check. Looking at skimmer socks.......

5. Back To Top    #5

I use ladies knee highs - 10 pr for $2.00 at Walmart - depending on how heavy the pollen is, I change them out each day. You'll be amazed at how much crud they catch.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same problem right now. I live in Arkansas. Like poolmom says, the knee highs work well. Also, when it gets really bad, I get the water hose and spray over the top of the water which knocks it to the bottom of the pool. Then you can sweep it up once it settles.

Sometimes I turn my return eye up so it breaks the top of the water and it usually gets it all in one section of the pool, then I can run my manual skimmer and try to get some of it.

One thing is...spring won't last forever.
    24' Above Ground installed March, 2010
    22 Sand Filter With Zeolite
    1.5 HP Motor Pump

Successfully using the BBB Method!

pool-school

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it's that time of year and as jmack1159 said, spring won't last forever. You might just have to do what I do which is make sure your skimmers stay clear enough to have good flow and help things along by using a leaf rake to skim the top when things get really yucky.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks ya'll! I sprayed down the top, but panty hose over the skimmer and started running the fountain to simulate more spraying on the top. Also, moved jets push water under fountain.

[attachment=0:fhrsozfu]fountain.JPG[/attachment:fhrsozfu]
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

I get that same looking stuff. Especially bad after a bit of wind.
    I dont know what it is, but it gets everywhere.

Question- when you say it has a problem going through the skimmer - do you mean its moving around the skimmer and not being sucked in- Or do you mean it spits back out after going through the filter loop?

Im pretty sure you mean the first.
    Problem with this stuff is any amount of wind just pushes it past the skimmer opening and it gathers on the surface everywhere else.

Problem is when it sinks the full surface area of this **** is now contaminating your water and using free chlorine- and this makes for nasty dust and ear problems

The only thing I've ever used that gets the majority of this stuff is a dragonfly.
    Its very expensive, but the best skimmer I've ever used, and in a high contamination environment- worth it IMO.
    It way better than the built in skimmer as it moves around the pool and usually has more surface area.

I did a review on it with video in the cleaners section.

Uncle Dave
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad to read these responses. We moved to Florida 10 months ago. I am relatively new to pool care and I am very careful about chlorine, ph, alkalinity, calcium, and cyanuric acid levels. I thought the pool had contracted a bizarre disease. Happy that it's "just" pollen. It also explains why my asthma has been really bad. I have a Solar Breeze pool skimmer that is filling with this stuff every 8 hours. It turns to a granular state in the very fine filter. It goes right through the debris net on a pole.