Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much Muriatic Acid can I safely add....

1. Back To Top    #1

NW Minnesota

How much Muriatic Acid can I safely add....

was wondering how much muriatic acid I can add to my pool at one time and on a daily basis.

I have High alk (280) and I am trying to get it to come down. PH is 7.4. How much would the daily amount be and how much can I add at one time? What is the best way to add it? Pump running or pump off? My pool is about 3900-4000 gals.

13'x25.5' Splash Superpool 10500 gals
    18" Sand Filter w/Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    can't answer how much at once, but use Jason's calculator in my sig to find out how much you need.

You will add it to water (always add acid to water, never the other way) and slowly pour it in front of a return with the pump running.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD
    You always want the pump running when you are adding chemicals and for at least half an hour afterwards to help them mix in.

The amount of acid you need to add varies depending on your current PH and TA. Just at the moment you could add two cups of 31.45% muriatic acid, but the amount you can add will go down signifcantly as your TA comes down and at the same time could be higher if you start from a higher starting PH.

The best approach is to add less than you think you need, wait half an hour to let it mix in, retest to see where that got you and repeat as needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

If your goal is to lower Alk, that will require aeration in addition to the acid. Before we get into that, just confirm that you are aware that adding acid alone will not lower your Alk.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    a good rule of thumb is to add about a pint per 10000 gallons, wait 30 minutes and repeat until your pH is at target. (If you are lowering TA then shoot for a pH of 7.0 and then test the TA and start aerating the water, this will cause the pH to rise. As the pH starts to rise continue adding acid and keep the pH at 7.0 and retest the TA and keep aerating. When the TA is on target stop adding acid and continue to aerate until the pH rises to 7.6. You are now done.)