Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: green tint to water

1. Back To Top    #1

green tint to water

I have just installed a salt system to my pool.. I got a pool guy that got all the levels perfect the water was blue and perfectly clear.. then all of a sudden after a rain the deep end starting getting a yellow tint to it.. I called the pool guy.. he says probably pollen then he gets there and says he wasnt really sure what it was. He then proceeds to shock it. I left came back an hour later and the water was completely green.. but it is still really clear. just tinted green.. I have the circu pool rj45 chlorine generator. After reading some post i assumed possible metals in pool.. I took a sample of water to Leslies pool store and they said i had 0.5 of iron in pool so I bought metal free. I added it and still is green.. but very clear.Should I continue to run the salt system while this is circulating?Does this sound like a metal problem?
    23000 gallons
    hayward sand filter
    inground vinyl pool
    circu pool rj45 salt system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: green tint to water

Welcome to TFP.

It does sound like your metal is the problem. There is an article in Pool School that has some information that might help Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

If you could provide some information about your pool (age, size, equipment) and your water test results, particularly chlorine and pH, we can give you more specific information.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with JohnT. A clear transparent green that appears when you add chlorine is almost always metals in the water. You should add sequestrant, which should clear up the color.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

ok cool thanks.
    My info is 10 year old vinyl pool with hayward super pump hayward filter.
    circupool rj45 chlorine generator
    I am going to go get my test done again today cause i lost the paper but I do remember the chlorine was high cause i had just shocked it.. It was 5 and the
    ph was 7.8
    alkalinity was 200
    phosphates 0
    stabilizer 60
    i put a liter of that metal out in yesterday and it is starting to look a little better but it is still light green rather than dark green.
    23000 gallons
    hayward sand filter
    inground vinyl pool

5. Back To Top    #5

How big is the pool? a liter may not be enough....
    Also your PH and TA are way too high for an SWG - you need to lower the PH down to 7.2 (which should help with the metals issue too) with Muratic Acid - ASAP and start to Lower the TA

See this article
    Lowering Total Alkalinity
    and this one
    Water Balance for SWCGs

Hope this helps - post back if you have questions...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

There is a good chance your chlorine is substantially higher than that. Most pool stores can't test chlorine higher than 5ppm. If that's the case, your pH test is unreliable as well.

I'd try more sequestrant.

How much water does your pool hold?

Is this the first time you've experienced metal problems? What is the source of your fill water?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    There is a good chance your chlorine is substantially higher than that. Most pool stores can't test chlorine higher than 5ppm. If that's the case, your pH test is unreliable as well.
    Very good point...
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

8. Back To Top    #8

im sorry my alkalinity was 80..
    my source of water is city water but they have been working on the pipes a lot around my house lately and i have noticed a egg yolk yellow color to the water in the tub lately..my pool is a 23000 gallon pool.Not sure if this has anything to do with it but there was rust spots all around my pool where the bank had put a metal cage over it last year before I bought the house... no problems last year but I did pressure wash the deck a couple of weeks ago so i am wondering if some of the rust got pressure washed into the pool. I am goin now to test my water again i will let you know the exact results. Also has anyone heard anything about this circupool system?rj45
    23000 gallons
    hayward sand filter
    inground vinyl pool

9. Back To Top    #9

The Circupool seems to be a reasonably good, though somewhat basic, SWG. It has proven somewhat popular because of the low price, but there still aren't enough of them out there to know much about their long term reliability.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay I just got back from a more reputable pool store.. they tested my water and these are the results
    free chlorine 0.6 ppm
    total chlorine 0.6
    combined chlorine0.0
    ph 7.4
    hardness 270
    alkalinity 90
    cya 30
    copper0.01
    iron 0
    phosphate 0ppb
    salt 4100
    I did add that metal free so I guess it seems to be working.. my pool does look a lot better than yesterday but still has a light green tint to it.
    23000 gallons
    hayward sand filter
    inground vinyl pool

11. Back To Top    #11

Based on the size of your pool I think you need another liter of the metal free sequesterant.
    Also your chlorine is too low - refer to the CYA chart and raise your FC up to your target. I'm a little concerned something else is happening - your chlorine should not be dropping that much especially if the SWG is operating properly.
    Pour very slowly, with the pump running in front of the return jet. IF it starts to turn green again, keep adding sequesterant in small doses until the blue color returns.
    You should do an Overnight FC Loss Test.
    Do you have your own test kit?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I'm a little concerned something else is happening - your chlorine should not be dropping that much especially if the SWG is operating properly.
    True. I think your CYA is too low. If your SWCG is working properly, you may not ave it running for enough time relative to how long you run the pump. A CYA of 30 combined with not enough on time for the generator will lead to a low FC. You can increase the CYA to 50 an and see what happens. My bet is the FC will go up. What's your on time for your generator?

Agree with adding more sequestrant. I dont think 1 quart was quite enough. And, an overnight chlorine loss test would be good once the FC is a little higher. This would rule out
    FC loss due to organics.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, make sure you rule out organics first before raising CYA.

14. Back To Top    #14

yes I was thinking the same thing on the chlorine.. it seems here lately every time i test the water the chlorine is low.. i just had my salt system installed two weeks ago so the system is brand new.I run the pump from 9am to 5 pm 7 days a week.. and here lately sometimes 24 hours to get the pool clear.i will take you up on that extra liter of metal free i will go buy it asap. what is a good stabilizer to use.. i have been using that liquid conditioner you buy at leslies. Is this pretty good?I hope this salt system is working correctly.. it has the foggy look at one end of the cell so I assume it is.. Is there anyway to test it to see if it is producing chlorine? also how do you do the fc test overnite? THANKS for all the help im new to this
    23000 gallons
    hayward sand filter
    inground vinyl pool

15. Back To Top    #15

also should i mention i run my swg at 70%.. and it is on everytime my pump is on.. I talked to a guy at circupool cause i was concerned with the chlorine being low as well and he said to raise the percentage to 100% all the time to see if that helps.
    23000 gallons
    hayward sand filter
    inground vinyl pool

16. Back To Top    #16

You pay more for the liquid - granule is cheaper it just takes a couple days to dissolve. We recommend the "sock method".
    I think you are fighting organics and that's why the SWG can't keep up. Two things consume chlorine, organics and sunlight. I think your issue is both.

In my post up above, I gave you the link to the overnight FC loss test (the blue highlighted words, if you move your cursor over the words, you'll see it's a link ) The swg has to be off for it to be accurate.

17. Back To Top    #17

ok cool i will get on that asap as well.. what is a really good test kit to use?
    23000 gallons
    hayward sand filter
    inground vinyl pool

18. Back To Top    #18

BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page