Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 or IC40?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 or IC40?

I am self installing a Viking St Thomas 13,700 gallon pool. I will be installing the Pentair IntelliChlor system. I figured I needed the IC20 since my pool is under 20,000 gallons. Is that correct, or is there a reason I need to move up to the IC40?
    Nearly done self installing:
    Viking "St Thomas" in-ground 13,700 gallon fiberglass pool (14' x 32' x 7') / Pentair VS-3050 pump / Pentair Clean & Clear 420 sq ft Cartridge filter / Pentair EasyTouch 8 automated system / Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG / Pentair Kreepy Krauly SandShark suction side cleaner / Pentair Intellibrite LED pool light / Jandy deck jets (x5)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 or IC40?

An IC-20 would work, but the percentage would have to be set higher than an IC-40. The prices are pretty similar between the two; i would go with the IC-40. My pool is around 14,000 gallons and I have an IC-40. I run it ~2 hours a day and keep my FC at 5 ppm. Everybodies pool is different, but the rule of thumb is get the biggest SWCG you can, within reason, obviously.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Where are you located? There could be a few variables that could contribute to the decision making process, like your fill water chemistry...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

IC-40, trust me. Couple hundred dollars more, well worth it. not many, if any chemiastry considerations for the size of SWCG to get, IMO.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

My thinking was if your fill water is high in TA and CH and you are in an arid area and have to frequently add water you'll be in a constant battle against drifting PH therefore the larger cell size would be well worth the additional funds so that you can run the unit less.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Southern California

Geez, I'm glad I asked. I will consider the IC40 instead.
    Nearly done self installing:
    Viking "St Thomas" in-ground 13,700 gallon fiberglass pool (14' x 32' x 7') / Pentair VS-3050 pump / Pentair Clean & Clear 420 sq ft Cartridge filter / Pentair EasyTouch 8 automated system / Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG / Pentair Kreepy Krauly SandShark suction side cleaner / Pentair Intellibrite LED pool light / Jandy deck jets (x5)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    My thinking was if your fill water is high in TA and CH and you are in an arid area and have to frequently add water you'll be in a constant battle against drifting PH therefore the larger cell size would be well worth the additional funds so that you can run the unit less.
    Actually, thats not a bad consideration, either. The IC-40 should make plenty of chlorine for his needs and cut the run time quite a bit.