Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Adding Blue Dye to pool water

Adding Blue Dye to pool water

I know that many lake companies add blue dye to water to reduce alge growth in lakes
    Using just basic food color, do you think that it would reduce the growth of alge in a pool?

Would this reduce the sun consumption of chlorine?

Is it dangerous?

Re: Adding Blue Dye to pool water

No, no, and probably not
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

I suppose adding dye to chlorine is a bit off the wall and the chlorine would bleach it out

Food coloring won't work. All of the common food colors will be broken down by chlorine and gone within hours (or minutes more likely).

Besides, we don't want to reduce the growth of algae, we want to totally eliminate it. If there was such a product, it might be a good thing to use when fighting algae. But for normal day to day use, chlorine works fine and you have to have chlorine anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Senior Member In the Industry

Party pool, it can stain if you use too much! Also gets filtered out rather quickly.
    -Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by StuartPool
    I know that many lake companies add blue dye to water to reduce alge growth in lakes
    Using just basic food color, do you think that it would reduce the growth of alge in a pool?

Would this reduce the sun consumption of chlorine?

Is it dangerous?
    I don't think it's dye. I think it's copper sulfate. No algae and a really pretty turquoise color. It also stains things real good. They used to dump it in the artificial lake at an amusement park I worked at when I was a teenager. You don't want it in your pool, unless you like green hair.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

No, apparently it is a "completely safe organic dye". See for example this site or this one. Those two both appear to be organic dyes that will break down in the presence of chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Ok maybe its just me but it might be fun to have a hot pink swimming pool for a day
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

I actually use an organic dye in my Koi ponds during the period just before I have full oxygenator vegetation growth (underwater plantlife) and surface coverage of my vegetation (lilies, etc) - it does in fact inhibit algae growth. But that is correct above, it would almost instantly be neutralized by the chlorine.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Party Pool sells red, green, and blue dye suitable for use in swimming pools. It lasts several days and then fades out.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Party Pool sells red, green, and blue dye suitable for use in swimming pools. It lasts several days and then fades out.
    Im going to get some of this for July 4th
    It should be fun.

The red turns the pool a shade of purple.
    -Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    The red turns the pool a shade of purple.
    I'm getting ready to open my pool, and I just overheard my Mother-in-law telling my wife how great the water looked last year. I might have to throw a bottle of this in before be pull the loop lock cover off.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

I keep reading this thread...and every time I keep thinking of something my pool store told me just this year. I was buying a couple bags of shock...not sure which of the proteam ones I was getting, but the guy told me he really liked this shock because....

Are you ready?

It put an ever so slight blue tint to the water when it was doing its job properly....

yah, in other words once you kill all the algae and have FC levels as high as they need to be and nothing else is living in your water...it will be blue and sparkly...

And still I bought it. Then I found TFP...

If I was open in March, I'd put green dye in my pool just like the chicago river!
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

We don't have anyone who would buy the green or yellow, so I don't stock it. lol
    -Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    We don't have anyone who would buy the green or yellow, so I don't stock it. lol
    A handful of the yellow would be great for practical jokes though!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

If you want green water, save your money on the dye! Just let your FC go to zero for a while, it's a sure way to get green water
    lol
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html