Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner, new forum subscriber.......Help Me! LOL

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner, new forum subscriber.......Help Me! LOL

Hey yall. I'm new here. We live in Ennis, TX (30 miles south of Dallas). We just bought a house, that has a 16'x32. oval Doughboy. It is an AGP, that is mostly buried. It is in dire need of some help, and I'm about to get started on it. There is a local pool company that is going to install my liner. I figured I better let professionals do it.

I'm buying a 25 ga liner from linerworld.com. The pool company also offers a 'hard bottom', which is a HDPE 30 ml polyethylene material. Yes, I know it may sound like overkill, but I'm the type of guy that is fine with paying a little more upfront, to not have to worry about minor **** afterwards.

First question: I have no idea if the water pump works or not. How can I tell? Do I have to wait for the liner to be put in and water in the pool?

Second question: The pool has a stone and mortar edge around it. I'll post a pic tomorrow. There is a gap at the top, all around it, that goes from 2 to 4 inches. I'm guessing that it was caused by settling, etc. Any ideas or remedies for this?

That's it for now. But, I'm sure I'll have thousands of questions here in the next few weeks.

Have a good hump day everyone!
    WWJBD

{What Would Jimmy Buffett Do}

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner, new forum subscriber.......Help Me! LOL

Welcome to TFP!

Some AGP experts will be by shortly to help you out.

3. Back To Top    #3

I put a gorilla bottom under ours for the same reason. I didn't want nut grass!

As for the pump. It really needs water in it to test it but if you could run a water hose in it you could turn it on for a few seconds to see if it ran. It'll suck it dry very quickly so you don't want to run it long. While you're taking pics of the decking, take some of the equipment and post them as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not an above ground pool owner, but I am a long time ParrotHead! Love the WWJBD

Welcome to the 'page!

5. Back To Top    #5

Howdy neighbor. I'm in Cedar Hill.

Welome to the bestest, friendliest, most helpful place on "The Internets".

People here are kind, friendly, and patient.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the welcome committee.
    WWJBD

{What Would Jimmy Buffett Do}

7. Back To Top    #7

Get that Frozen concoction machine ready.....you'll be poolside before you know it!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge