It's PURPLE!!!

Jun 3, 2009
Memphis, TN
Monday-Beautiful blue sparkling clear water. Just getting into the swing of pool season again but very proud of BBB 48 hours after removing cover. Still running filter 24/7.[attachment=2:2k6oblre]bluepool10.jpg[/attachment:2k6oblre]
Tuesday evening thought the sun was flashing off of it funny as it looked purple. Went out in the backyard and lo and behold it is purple! The picture doesn't do it justice it is purple! Sparklingly clear but purple just the same![attachment=1:2k6oblre]purplepool1.jpg[/attachment:2k6oblre][attachment=0:2k6oblre]purplepool2.jpg[/attachment:2k6oblre]
Here's the particulars
FC 2.0
TC 3.0
ph 7.0
TA 50
CYA 0.0
Water temp 65
Obviously will be raising chlorine to 12 or better and getting some cya in there tonight. Should I be concerned how low the ph is while adding the cya? Purple yall! Anybody seen this?

HELP!!

Attachments

• bluepool10.jpg
    bluepool10.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 246
  • purplepool1.jpg
    purplepool1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 245
  • purplepool2.jpg
    purplepool2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 245
Are there any teens that might have added dye to the water? Dye will go away over a couple of days if you raise the FC level.

Manganese, on the other hand, will get worse (for now) if you add chlorine or raise the PH. Coloring from manganese will go away if you add sequestrant.

You might take a sample of your pool water to a pool store and have them check for metals. I wonder if a pool store would even test for manganese? Don't really hear about that one much.

My bet is still with the manganese, but I cant figure out where it might have come from except maybe the top off water. If it were mine, i'd hold off on raising the pH much. If it is metal, it could make it worse. My opinion is get some CYA in the pool, maybe increase the ph to 7.2, and go get a couple quarts of a phosphonic acid based sequesterent. Proteam, Jack's magic, or even the HTH brand from Walmart will do. Add 1 quart per 10,000 gallons of water, run the pump overnight, and see what happens. If it's not metal, it wont hurt anything, and if it is, it should clear or be noticably better by morning.

Here's the update. I had a crisis at work and didn't get to add anything in that night. The next morning it was back to blue with some settlement on the bottom. Not much just a little. So basically I did nothing and it corrected itself. I have since raised the FC and the ph and am working on cya but have a beautiful pool again. Leaning towards the prank thing for it to have happened the way it did. Now if I could just get the temp up! Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.