Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: It's PURPLE!!!

It's PURPLE!!!

Monday-Beautiful blue sparkling clear water. Just getting into the swing of pool season again but very proud of BBB 48 hours after removing cover. Still running filter 24/7.[attachment=2:2k6oblre]bluepool10.jpg[/attachment:2k6oblre]
    Tuesday evening thought the sun was flashing off of it funny as it looked purple. Went out in the backyard and lo and behold it is purple! The picture doesn't do it justice it is purple! Sparklingly clear but purple just the same![attachment=1:2k6oblre]purplepool1.jpg[/attachment:2k6oblre][attachment=0:2k6oblre]purplepool2.jpg[/attachment:2k6oblre]
    Here's the particulars
    FC 2.0
    TC 3.0
    ph 7.0
    TA 50
    CYA 0.0
    Water temp 65
    Obviously will be raising chlorine to 12 or better and getting some cya in there tonight. Should I be concerned how low the ph is while adding the cya? Purple yall! Anybody seen this?

HELP!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    29,000 gal IG vinyl
    Hayward sand filter
    Nautilus w/ booster pump
    BBB believer!

Re: It's PURPLE!!!

How much water did you add from the hose to top off the pool? Ever had this before?

Purple is usually caused by manganese metal in the water.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

I would raise the pH as CYA is acid and will slightly lower your pH. The effect of the CYA is small, but at 7.0 I wouldn't risk it.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

Are there any teens that might have added dye to the water? Dye will go away over a couple of days if you raise the FC level.

Manganese, on the other hand, will get worse (for now) if you add chlorine or raise the PH. Coloring from manganese will go away if you add sequestrant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thanks for the help. Teens around here would never do something like that! I guess it's a possibility but I have dogs so I'm leaning toward no on the kids. I'll get the FC and ph up and see what happens.
    29,000 gal IG vinyl
    Hayward sand filter
    Nautilus w/ booster pump
    BBB believer!

You might take a sample of your pool water to a pool store and have them check for metals. I wonder if a pool store would even test for manganese? Don't really hear about that one much.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

You can test for manganese with a Taylor K-3221 kit, but it is very expensive. I have also seen test strips for around $30.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

My bet is still with the manganese, but I cant figure out where it might have come from except maybe the top off water. If it were mine, i'd hold off on raising the pH much. If it is metal, it could make it worse. My opinion is get some CYA in the pool, maybe increase the ph to 7.2, and go get a couple quarts of a phosphonic acid based sequesterent. Proteam, Jack's magic, or even the HTH brand from Walmart will do. Add 1 quart per 10,000 gallons of water, run the pump overnight, and see what happens. If it's not metal, it wont hurt anything, and if it is, it should clear or be noticably better by morning.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

Last summer you had yellow water.

Looks like you will continue to have issues with metals unless you make sure to add the maintenance doses of sequesterant.

I also suggest you try sequesterant first.

That purple is pretty, but as you say, not for your pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Here's the update. I had a crisis at work and didn't get to add anything in that night. The next morning it was back to blue with some settlement on the bottom. Not much just a little. So basically I did nothing and it corrected itself. I have since raised the FC and the ph and am working on cya but have a beautiful pool again. Leaning towards the prank thing for it to have happened the way it did. Now if I could just get the temp up! Thanks for the help!
    29,000 gal IG vinyl
    Hayward sand filter
    Nautilus w/ booster pump
    BBB believer!