Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dedicated Electric Line Needed For Pumps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dedicated Electric Line Needed For Pumps?

Hey folks,

I've got a 1HP Hayward SuperPump (115 volts). In the past I just plugged it into a 2 outlet prong that I had in my backyard. That ran seemingly fine without issues (I did have some issues, but I'm pretty sure it was just the outlet itself). I'm redoing my patio now though and am running a new electrical line.

I got 2 quotes for the electric from 2 different electricians. One electrician sent me his quote and used the same setup I had before with a 20 amp circuit line going to 2 outlets (one of which I can plug my pump in, and the other I can use for my Dolphin cleaner, or stereo...). The other electrician's quote however had 2 separate 20 amp circuit lines being run. One of these lines were dedicated for the pump, and the other ran to 2 outlets. It was $300 higher though.

So, my question is, do you typically dedicate an entire 20 amp circuit just to the pump? Do I need to go for that quote? Or is the other one fine?

Thanks!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dedicated Electric Line Needed For Pumps?

A 1 HP Super Pump doesn't need a 20 amp, a 15 will do. It should be hardwired though, and use a timer.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok cool! Thanks! So, sharing that 20 amp line with other basic devices (like the cleaner and stereo and lights) is fine?

I do use a timer...why the hardwire though? Mine has used the plug so far and has been fine. Is there a reason why the hardwire is better?

Thanks again for the help!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

4. Back To Top    #4

The pump is still a high draw item, especially at startup. Plugging it in and pulling it out the outlet will create arcs. Eventually, the plug or outlet will fail. Motor starts are typically noisy, electrically speaking. Other devices like radios, cd players, bug zppers, won't like that.

Ever forget to turn off the pump? Ever forget to turn it on? Timer.

I recommend two 15 amp circuits, one for the pool pump and one as a convenience outlet.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

If your pool is permanently installed, code in many areas requires at least two circuits, one for the equipment and the other for an outlet for whatever the people using the pool might plug in.

For a temporary pool, there isn't a code requirement in most places. But it is still a good idea to have at least two circuits, one for the equipment and the other available for whatever comes up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok! Thanks guys!