Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Worth it to replace Hayward 3/4 HP with Intelliflo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Worth it to replace Hayward 3/4 HP with Intelliflo?

I have an older pool with 1.5" copper plumbing. Due to this constraint, we have kept a 3/4 hp Hayward pump (cant find the model number) which is probably 5 or 6 years old now. We have a spa (used infrequently) but no solar or other water features. Will we see an adequated reduction in out electricity bill if we install a Pentair Intelliflo given that we are not starting with a large hp pump to begin with? My solar installer is trying to convince us we will see significant savings, but I am trying to put some reason behind this given the up front cost of the pumps. I live in the L.A. area with high DWP rates.

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Worth it to replace Hayward 3/4 HP with Intelliflo?

How high will the solar be? How many panels and how large too?
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Worth it to replace Hayward 3/4 HP with Intelliflo?

Lisadmn, welcome to TFP!

You can probably save 50% of your electric bill with an IntelliFlo. In the L.A. area you ought to have a reasonable break even period on an IntelliFlo, especially if you qualify for the California rebate.

PoolGuyNJ, there isn't any solar.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School