Using 2 filters for 1 pool

Okay, I have no idea how I did that. I thought I was posting a reply to the existing thread of the same title. Please delete or move this post as needed. My apologies. :oops:

Not meant to hijack or anything :roll: ...but I also have a similar two filter for 1 pool question.

I have been using a 200lb. sand filter for about six seasons on our 24' round aboveground pool, but recently picked up a hardly used Hayward EC50 DE filter & 1HP Matrix pump (pretty cheap). Since I can't use my suction side manual vacuum head or Aquabug anymore with DE :( , here's my question;

I have an Aqualuminator return, so I would need to spend $40 bucks for the Pentair pressure side adapter plus another $180 or so, for a Polaris 65. So, instead of selling my old setup, I was thinking of splitting the skimmer line with a "Y" and just using my sand filter for vacuuming. Either vacuuming to waste, or tossing a return hose into the pool just when cleaning.

As long as I put a ball valve before the pump basket on the sand filter, are there any potential problems using it as a maintenance filter and not in a closed loop as it was designed?

When asking questions, it is always better to ask in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's topic.

Why can't you use your suction side manual vacuum head or Aquabug anymore? Using them will mean more backwashing/cleaning of the DE filter, but that is only annoying not something that prevents them from being used.

Yes, you can use the sand filter with it's own pump as an independent open loop system if you want to. To plumb it in properly to a single skimmer you need check valves on the pipes between the skimmer line Y and each pump. Depending on your skimmer pipe diameter and length, it probably won't be a good idea to have both pumps running at the same time. Another way to plumb things is to install a three way valve after the main pump that can feed either filter. That is simpler to plumb and doesn't require as much electrical work, but again you can only use one filter at a time.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm new to DE filters, but from what I've read, I was under the impression that it was not good practice to vacuum debris and that most owners opted for pressure side cleaners. I suppose if I stay diligent with skimming I should be able to keep it simple and just use one filter. This way, if I hate DE after this season I can sell the setup and go back to sand. :lol:

I wouldn't call it "not good practice". Vacuuming is fine, it just means that you need to clean the filter sooner. Nothing goes wrong, nothing breaks. At worst it is annoying. How annoying depends on the size of your filter. If you have a large filter relative to the size of your pool it isn't that big a deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.