When do you shock?

I've read Pool School, I've read 'How to Shock' but when do you shock? I'm just a bit confused because my chlorine is holding over night and hasn't dropped more than 1ppm, my CC is 0 and my water looks great, I guess I'm just wondering if everything stays like this can I go weeks without shocking? I haven't started actually swimming yet, water still a bit too cool. I'm guessing that once I start my numbers will change and then I'll have to shock. It seems a little weird not to have to get to shock level for such a long time. I guess that's another benefit to BBB!

Also, how often do you have to do the overnight FC test?

Thanks!

You only need to shock when something goes wrong: FC falls to zero, visible algae in the pool, CC level above 0.5, obvious organic contamination. Most people shock about once a season, but a fair number can go an entire season without shocking.

There is no reason to do an overnight FC loss test unless you think there is something wrong.

As long as FC remains in the normal range for your CYA level, and the water stays clear you should be fine.

If it hasn't been at zero very long, you may not need to shock at all. You know you need to shock when your water doesn't look good, you lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight, or your CC is greater than 0.5 ppm. When shocking, you shock long enough until your FC holds to within 1 ppm over night. This may take several days or it make take 1 day. Just depends on the level of organics in the water. Does that make sense? :)

esim13 said:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

One more thing... say FC falls to 0. I shock at my CYA level for how long? (just preparing ahead of time)
That very thing happened to me last summer :oops: and I only needed to bring it to shock level one time. FC had only been at 0 for a matter of hours.

As you said, rarely needing to shock is a benefit of BBB :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.