Can I close off some of my returns?

May 18, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I have an inground pool, 30,000 gallons. There are two "step jets" (returns in the steps out of the shallow end) and four other returns. I think I would get better circulation if I closed the step jets and just used the four other returns. (The builder said the returns on the steps is to help keep them clean.) However, I don't have a valve to do this. Instead of incurring the cost to re-plumb the equipment pad and add a shut-off valve for these two returns, is it okay to just screw in my winter plugs? I have some rubber plugs I usually use when closing, but I also have some that screw into the return fitting. Is there any harm in just closing them off this way? Too much pressure build-up in the line or anything? This seems to me to be the easy and cheap way to do it.

Closing off a couple of returns shouldn't be a problem as long as most of them are still open. Take a look at the filter pressure right before you change them and again afterwards. If it goes up between zero and two psi then you are totally fine. If it jumps up by 10 then you have a problem.

be careful a lot of step jets are plumbed using hydrotherapy jets (letting air in to give it the spa effect, but if you plug it up and run the pump water will start to come out of the air tube resulting in the pool losing water,
so if you plug them off take a good listen in that area

I think I know what you mean about the air jets. My friend's pool has that feature. I also have a hot tub, and it seems like it works the same -- you can open or close the air to get more or less bubbles. In my case, there are no air adjustments near the steps, so I assume they are no hydrotherapy jets.

My basic question was, can I cause any damage closing them off at the pool, as opposed to installing a valve back at the equipment pad to close them off.

If they are standard eyeball return, re., the kind that has a screw on collar that holds the eyeball in you can purchase little disc that you insert into the eyeball to restrict them. One came with my Pool Skim. To use on one of my eyeballs it would not stay in place so I trimmed it a little and then glued it into the eyeball. Eyeballs can be purchased separately too in case you want to change them back. The disc and eyeballs cost very little. If you like having them closed off you could always do that later to neaten things up a bit. Eyeballs, also come in various size and type of openings. If you don't like them all the way closed you could always put one in that has a smaller opening.

On the other hand, I wish I had returns on my steps. That's where most of the sand and silt collect from doggies and none of my auto sweeps make it all the way up the steps.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.