Chlorine Loss

It varies quite a bit from pool to pool and depends on your CYA level, the weather, and how much the pool is shaded from the sun, etc. A typical FC loss is around 2 ppm/day, but the range is more like 0.5 to 4 ppm.

JasonLion said:
It varies quite a bit from pool to pool and depends on your CYA level, the weather, and how much the pool is shaded from the sun, etc. A typical FC loss is around 2 ppm/day, but the range is more like 0.5 to 4 ppm.

Wow that is a lot. So even with adding bleach every day you could go through a lot of bleach.

Well, yes, but if it concerns you then there are a few things you can do to reduce it: tweak your CYA up a little bit (in Texas, 50 or even 60 is pretty common), use a cover (reduces evaporation loss as well as a bit of FC loss).

If you think your chlorine loss is on the high side, then an Overnight FC Loss Test will tell you whether it's due to organics.
--paulr

As Jason said it varies a lot from pool to pool but you can get a pretty good idea of your pools normal usage. You can use the pool calculator to help.

Here's how I did it. I tested the FC every evening and used pool calc to figure how much bleach to add. I then took that number and entered it in the "Effects of adding chemicals" section of PC to get how many ppm that much bleach would raise the FC and I charted that for a few weeks to get my normal usage. I also used that as I adjusted the CYA to tell how much it changed the usage. I use about 1½ quarts of 6% bleach per day. Which is about 2ppm per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.