Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Loss

Not sure if there is an answer, but if there is I am sure you guys know. Is there anyway to determine what a normal loss of chlorine is per day?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Loss

It varies quite a bit from pool to pool and depends on your CYA level, the weather, and how much the pool is shaded from the sun, etc. A typical FC loss is around 2 ppm/day, but the range is more like 0.5 to 4 ppm.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It varies quite a bit from pool to pool and depends on your CYA level, the weather, and how much the pool is shaded from the sun, etc. A typical FC loss is around 2 ppm/day, but the range is more like 0.5 to 4 ppm.
    Wow that is a lot. So even with adding bleach every day you could go through a lot of bleach.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, yes, but if it concerns you then there are a few things you can do to reduce it: tweak your CYA up a little bit (in Texas, 50 or even 60 is pretty common), use a cover (reduces evaporation loss as well as a bit of FC loss).

If you think your chlorine loss is on the high side, then an Overnight FC Loss Test will tell you whether it's due to organics.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

As Jason said it varies a lot from pool to pool but you can get a pretty good idea of your pools normal usage. You can use the pool calculator to help.

Here's how I did it. I tested the FC every evening and used pool calc to figure how much bleach to add. I then took that number and entered it in the "Effects of adding chemicals" section of PC to get how many ppm that much bleach would raise the FC and I charted that for a few weeks to get my normal usage. I also used that as I adjusted the CYA to tell how much it changed the usage. I use about 1½ quarts of 6% bleach per day. Which is about 2ppm per day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I lose very little when the pool is not in use and the solar cover is on, prob .5 or so. When the cover is off and we are swimming on a hot sunny day it's closer to 2.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com