Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small Symmetrical Stains in the deep end.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Small Symmetrical Stains in the deep end.....

I am new here, but have been a long time lurker and have really enjoyed the forum.....but now I need some help.

I have a stain problem that is concentrated in the deepend of the pool. The stains are small semi circular and brown. They are not all exactly the same shape, but there is DEFINITELY a similarity to the stains. There are probably 75 or so individual stains. I thought they were from juvenile pinecone deposits, but after rubbing a tri-chlor tab o n an area a few times with no improvement I moved on. I got the Jacks test kit and "step number 5" made a stain fade significantly. This would tell me that it is copper/scale. But, could copper stains be all the same shape??? I need these things GONE....and I need help.
    28,000 Gallon Inground Pool
    Cartridge Filters (4)
    Chlorine System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small Symmetrical Stains in the deep end.....

I've read about the stain id kit but never actually used it. Was number 5 the only reaction you had? Copper/Scale I find that so odd that they lump the two together... do the stains feel 'rough' at all?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

The stains are not rough at all. I did an AA treatment last night, and 12 hours later, the stains are still there.
    Cartridge Filters (4)
    Chlorine System

4. Back To Top    #4

Could you post a full set of numbers and some pics of the stains?

From the description, they sound organic to me

What is your location, city & state?

Are you just opening the pool?

What is the pool surface?

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

AA treatments rarely work on copper stains, and is doesn't help scale.
    I was working on another thread regarding copper stains and found a recommendation for a product that purportedly works on copper. You can read that thread here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/i-am-...ol-t20134.html
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

I am also beginning to think they are organic stains, mostly due to their symmetrical stains. I guess they may be from baby Pinecones sitting at the bottom of the pool for a period of time. But I have shocked the pool numerous times and they are still there, and I have rubbed a chlorine tab on them and they are still there. Anything else I should try for STUBBORN organic stains????
    Cartridge Filters (4)
    Chlorine System

7. Back To Top    #7

You can try leaving a trichlor tablet sitting directly on one of the stains for say 30 minutes and see if that does anything. If it doesn't they probably aren't organic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you ever heard of stains being all the same shape???
    Cartridge Filters (4)
    Chlorine System

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I believe the pool in question is a plaster pool. . .
    16K IG Plaster Pool w/ Hayward 36sq.ft. DE filter I'll have to add the pump info when I can get to it.
    Testing with TF-100!!

11. Back To Top    #11

What is your water temp? If an AA treatment is going to work (that is if it's not organic and a metal that can be lifted with AA) it may take a week or more to see results in cool/cold water as chemical reaction will be much slower than in warm, swimming temp water. I did AA last fall with water somewhere in 70's. It took two weeks of treatment.

Contrary to popular belief, with continued use of certain sequestrates and keeping pH at 7.2 my scale continued to release all winter.

Some pictures would certainly help. Sounds like organic to me too. I've dealt with copper stains and they have never been any way "formed"; rather streaky and/or spider web looking.

Over the winter my copper stains did lighten. It could have been because the stains were imbedded in the scale that did release over time.

gg=alie
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

12. Back To Top    #12

If the OP is who I think it is, his water temperature is roughly 75* and rising daily and the pool is located just south of Houston, TX. Glad you signed up over here Jimbo, I've learned volumes just by reading old threads
    16K IG Plaster Pool w/ Hayward 36sq.ft. DE filter I'll have to add the pump info when I can get to it.
    Testing with TF-100!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yep JET....its me. Your Texas brother. I have read a LOT here...and like what I have absorbed so far....

I will take some pictures and post them up and see if we all cant get to the bottom of this, if we do....POOL PARTY at my house.

I am in Pearland Texas. Water is 74 degrees and it is a plaster pool.
    Cartridge Filters (4)
    Chlorine System