DE filter for 85,000 gallon pool

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
My father in law was here looking at my small 10,000 gallon pool which is filtered by a 36 sq. ft Pentair Plus DE filter attached to a 3/4 hp pump. He has an 85,000 gallon pool that is currently being filtered by an old large sand filter that is attached to a 5HP pump.

Would a 60 sq. ft Pentair Plus DE filter be adequate to filter his large pool. What about attaching to such a large motor/pump?

You don't really want to pair any residential filter with a 5 HP pump. That is just too much pump. Technically, the very largest residential filters could in theory work, but it would be marginal for that situation. We always recommend getting the largest filter you can, which, scaled up for that pool, would be something like three times the size of the largest residential filters. Putting two or three filters in parallel is done sometimes.

It is very old and the sand compacts. They have cutting torch a hole in the side to jack hammer the sand out. So guess he is looking for something a little more modern. The pool was built in the '30's by his father. I don't know the age of the filter but I can attest that it is pretty old probably fifty years at least i would guess, maybe it is original...i don't know.

So it looks like maybe the answer is a commercial sand filter with a better means for backwash/maintenance. I will google but can anyone with knowledge recommend a good commercial filter for this application?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.