Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green algae in 24' Intex.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Green algae in 24' Intex.....

Our pool is 1/2 filled with water. We stored the DE filter and the pump over the winter. But due to some bad storms over the winter...I guess it cause algae to start. My question is this. Should we go ahead and fill the pool the rest of the way up with water, connect the pump and filter and treat the algae...OR...should we just pump out the algae water, scrub down the pool, and refill and treat the algae that way?? This way the water isn't so green and maybe won't be so much work in treating the algae??
    Julie

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green algae in 24' Intex.....

With a 24' pool it is better to fill it up and then fight the algae. If you empty it completely there is a risk of the walls shifting or falling over, which would be much worse than the algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you have a intex metal frame pool i dont see a issue with the walls - Intex are soft sided and not metal as most AGP's are, id say drain clean and refill myself.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thats what we're leaning toward..draining, cleaning it out and refilling. Then HOPEFULLY keeping it algae free year round. Yes, its a metal frame pool, so the sides won't collapse in or anything. And we won't let it dry out after pumping all the water out...we would scrub it down and begin to refill it that same day. Will probably take us all day to clean it...but I think that will be better than filling it the rest of the way up withit all green and fighting the algae the next week or two IF we're lucky.
    Julie

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by julie492
    And we won't let it dry out after pumping all the water out...
    Letting it dry out will not hurt it at all! The intex pools are meant to be seasonal - cleaned and stored at the end of swim season.

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd top her off and shock it, brush it and sweep it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter