Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GPM for backwashing Quad DE 80?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Oceanside, CA

GPM for backwashing Quad DE 80?

Is there a minimum/maximum GPM requirement for backwashing a Quad DE 80? It has a 2" slide valve on it and I was thinking of backwashing it for 3 minutes at maybe 30 GPM or so. Any recommendations?

I've looked in the filter manual and couldn't find any mention of it. But I've heard that there's a possibility of blowing out the cartridges when plumbing the Quad DE backwards(output/input are opposite on a Quad DE vs. a regular DE filter). But wouldn't backwashing the filter have the same effect on the cartridges as plumbing it backwards?
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: GPM for backwashing Quad DE 80?

That filter is rated for something like 150 GPM, you are not going to damage it by backwashing. A conventional cartridge filter can be damaged by backwashing, or plumbing backwards, but not the kind you have.

I would use a higher GPM, perhaps something around 60 GPM. You want to be sure to wash out as much of the DE as possible.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School