I can't find an answer anywhere. My Hayworth Superpump was 11yrs old. Myself and an electrician friend replaced the old outdoor switch with a new 2 pole 20amp switch and then a 16 gauge hardwire to pump. I turned on pump and capacitor blew smoke and dyelectric fluid. New capacitor did the same. I bought new $400 hayworth superpump, hooked it up and the capacitor did the same. I'm running a 220 line and have never had a problem. the electrician turned on switch and metered the amps at 5 when more smoke came from capacitor and metered the electricity at pump at 237. The only difference between this yr and any other yr as the new switch and changing from a regular piece of 220 wire from switch to pump, to a 16 gauge wire. I know 14 is recommended now, but two electricians said that the 16 isnt the problem. I might be confusing my 220's and 230's for wiring since im not electricas saavy but the metering was 237. the pump is wiring correctly for 230 and it takes 7.5 amps if this help.