question regarding pre plaster clean and preparation

goyom

Mar 30, 2010
Hi all, we have 2 steps left in our build, cool deck application and the installation of the plaster.
I am taking off the day from work on plaster day and wanted some input on things to look out for.

Stuff I am curious about:

1. There are 4 holes that were left in the gunite, PB said due to ground water and are a pressure release.
How are these usually filled in? I have read portland cement? How important is is to make sure they scoop out the holes and to what depth should I make sure they clear them?

2. Debris in the pool
Do plaster companies usually do a good job of cleaning out the junk? I do not want any debris under my plaster!
Do they usually bring shop vacs etc and know what they are doing ?

3. Rough spots in gunite, how do they clean up the bounce back gunite and rough spots in the pool?

4. Umbrella sleeves, I have 2 going in, one in the sunshelf, one in the deep end love seat.

Any concerns with these I should know about?
Any other things I should watch for on plaster day?
Thanks much for any input, this is our first pool and really want it completed right. We have had so many delays etc, we are now just wanting it finished.
This forum is wonderful.

Debris and pressure holes. I used a sump to empty the deep end to see what was going on down there prior to plaster, less debris than I thought.
a few pics attached
Predeck

Post concrete, pre cool deck.

goyom said:
Hi all, we have 2 steps left in our build, cool deck application and the installation of the plaster.
I am taking off the day from work on plaster day and wanted some input on things to look out for.

Stuff I am curious about:

1. There are 4 holes that were left in the gunite, PB said due to ground water and are a pressure release.
How are these usually filled in? I have read portland cement? How important is is to make sure they scoop out the holes and to what depth should I make sure they clear them?

Usually, those are "hotted in" with plaster. your plasterer may have a different way of "cementing" them in.

2. Debris in the pool
Do plaster companies usually do a good job of cleaning out the junk? I do not want any debris under my plaster!
Do they usually bring shop vacs etc and know what they are doing ?

They will clean the pool out, but there is a limit to the amount of stuff they will clean. Yours doesn't look bad.

3. Rough spots in gunite, how do they clean up the bounce back gunite and rough spots in the pool?

Depending how bad it is... You will be there, bring it to the plasterers attention.

4. Umbrella sleeves, I have 2 going in, one in the sunshelf, one in the deep end love seat.

If the sleeves are there, there shouldn't be a problem.

Nice coping. :goodjob:

Got a related question:
The mess in mine is mostly water. I assume they bring a pump? They must be used to this. Secondly, do I need to have all the wiring already pulled through the conduit for the lights or do they do this?

n8scstm I had quite a bit of water in my pool, I used a sump pump to clear it so I could see more of what was going on before they came out.

As for light wiring, my PB wired it and left the lights for the spa and pool attached by a 8 foot cord, that sits up on the coping.

They told me the plaster crew would install the lights.

n8scstm said:
Got a related question:
The mess in mine is mostly water. I assume they bring a pump? They must be used to this. Secondly, do I need to have all the wiring already pulled through the conduit for the lights or do they do this?

They probably won't pull the light. But if your lights are pulled already, leave the fixture up on the deck and they should install them b4 they leave.

My lights fit into a 1.5" threaded return fitting. So I have to have that on there too. Do I need to cut the pipe to the correct length or will they? I dont want them to cut the wire while trying to cut the pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.