What do I have here?

If it's not iron, it likely is organic staining. That is the easiest to deal with, since all it requires is chlorine! To test that, you apply chlorine and see if it lightens. Usually this is done underwater by rubbing a trichlor tab on it, but since it's exposed you could just pour bleach on it (I guess?).

FC is at 5 now, and the pool and water looks great overall, but there is still the dark brown/greenish stain around the perimeter of the entire pool right underneath the tile (about 6-8" wide). It has only been about 5 days since I got the FC level higher and stable where it should be, so maybe it is too early to hope for results in that staining to start going away.

Since the viatmin C test didn't work, I was hoping it was organic and would fade away with the consistent CL content.

Did you try holding a trichlor tablet on the staining? If the stain fades from the trichlor, that confirms if it's organic and if FC levels or shocking will work.

From the pic to me it looks a bit like it might be a combination of organic and possible copper staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.