Am I lucky or good?

Apr 21, 2010
Pool was opened earlier this week (guys dropped a few bottles of shock in it when they opened it, but that's it). What a mess - leaves everywhere, heavy algae growth on walls and bottom - water wasn't terrible, but not good - murky - could barely make out the bottom returns in the 6' section..

Anyway - pulled the chlorinator (Hayward cl200) off line - plugged the holes because it was leaking everywhere - and the pump ran much better than it has run the last few years that chlorinator was a POS, imo. Dropped a floating chlorinator in for the time being, dumped in a jug of bleach, and fired up the pump. Grabbed a net and cleaned up most of the leaves and junk.

Long story short - an hour or two later I tested the water. PH was perfect, Chorine was perfect. Water was already clearing up significantly. Bottom is still a bit of a mess, but after a brushing I have it mostly concentrated to the deep end.

A quick vaccuum tomorrow and I think I'll be a day away from sparking, balanced water.

In the three years that I've had this pool, I have not had to do too much to have very clear water. Is it supposed to be this easy? I read the posts around here and get all worked up and anxious, but when i get out by the water it just never seems that complicated..

Not bragging - i'm going to assume that I'm just really lucky. But is this common to have it go this well this easily?

duraleigh said:
How do you intend to chlorinate from this point forward? Have you run any tests for CYA?

If your water was really murky, your FC should be back to zero and you'll need more.

Well, I don't think I'll be using that chlorinator (the in-line) anymore. Looking at just using BBB and leaving the floater in there from time-to-time.

ironmanix said:
Well, I don't think I'll be using that chlorinator (the in-line) anymore. Looking at just using BBB and leaving the floater in there from time-to-time.
Just remember that floaters leave CYA in the water (Dichlor or Trichlor) and depending on the exact floater, could also decrease your PH (Trichlor).

I've had one opening that was similar to yours, but I didn't keep up with things well enough and had a green tinge to the water in about 2 weeks. That took 2-3 days to clear but now I don't even wince: It's BBB *and* testing to know what the chemical levels in the water are.

Now, I'm just having fun with all of the yellow pollen! :roll:

What are your numbers?

Terry in NC :cool:

Turns out maybe I'm neither.. :)

I've gotten the pool sparkling from a clarity perspective, but what I thought was dirt collecting on the creases is I think algae growing every night. But up until now I've only tested PH and Chlorine, both were seemingly fine. Yesterday, however, I tested the CYA level and found it down around 30.

This morning I put a sock full of CYA on a return (conservatively added enough to get me to 40-45 for now), added a bit of PH up and put another container of bleach in. Probably should have done it a little more scientifically, but I know I won't have a ton of time to devote to the pool through Friday.

I'm going to run home at lunch to do a fully battery of tests again and I'll post some numbers when I get back. Generally speaking things look very fixable, but I was a little premature in declaring a well balanced pool. :)

How did you detemine it wasn't just dirt? Did you do an overnight chlorine drop test? Cause that's the sure-fire way to tell (well almost). :)

Actually if your were chlorinating based on a CYA you thought was higher than 30 and it turned out to be 30 then you had more FC to kill off anything than you thought you did. That's a good thing.

It accumulated overnight way too fast to be dirt settling. And, well, it looked like algae, I think. :)

I just went home for lunch and ran the alkalinity test. Way low - 50-60ppm range.

So here is where I am right now.

Water condition. Clarity = sparkling. Algae = growing (slowly overnight) it seems.

CYA was at 30 ppm yesterday.
Chlorine was high (can't remember exact number)
PH was low (can't remember exact number)
Alkalinity 50-60 ppm.

I don't recall exact numbers, but here is what I've done so far. (that said, going forward I'm going to chart everything and do it correctly).

1. Added stabilizer - about enough to bring me to 40-45 ppm range. hung a sock of it by a return.
2. Added bleach - maybe 120-ish oz.
3. Added PH Up (I haven't gone fully BBB as I have some of this stuff laying around still) - added enough to bring PH up a few points to just below recommended level according to the chart.
4. Added Alkalinity Increaser - 3-4 pounds.

I figured I'd let all of this settle in for a day then re-test tomorrow and see where I am. Maybe wait a few days for the CYA test.

Filter is running well, pressure low and stable. Water is clear. I also have some tablets in a chlorinator floating around.

Tests later tonight to see where we've settled, tests tomorrow or Friday and then top everything off seems like the right plan.

ironmanix said:
It accumulated overnight way too fast to be dirt settling. And, well, it looked like algae, I think. :)
If it was light gray and "fluffled" or clouded the water when disturbed it is/was probably deal algae.

ironmanix said:
...don't recall exact numbers, but here is what I've done so far. (that said, going forward I'm going to chart everything and do it correctly).
No reason to test CYA for 5-7 days as it'll take that long to completely disolve.

Charting things will make a difference. It sounds dumb, but "you and your water become one". You might want to record pressures, water & air temperatures, etc. That information may help you in the future.
:roll:

ironmanix said:
Filter is running well, pressure low and stable. Water is clear. I also have some tablets in a chlorinator floating around.
This time of year I've had a floater in the pool as well when out of town. As it turns out my youngest son has been watching me and taking mental notes about pool maintenance. I've been fortunate in that I've able to take care of the pool by "remote-son" control!
:gone:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.