Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened my filter for first time today

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened my filter for first time today

I have been battling a cloudy pool, so this morning I opened my filter to see if it was "channelled". Being very honest, I do not know what "channelled" looks like, but was hoping that I would aleast be able to see if there was clumping. So, as suggested by another poster, I first looked in - didn't see anything too abnormal - some lighter colored fine substance on top of the sand, but not an enormous amount. So then I took the water hose- with water running - and began to allow the tank to fill and run over. Then I gently worked the tip of hose into the sand. That is when really yukky water began to come out of the center tube in the tank. I would leave the hose in place until the water from the center pipe would clear, then move the hose to another spot. Each time leaving it in place until it cleared. In most places, the hose easily slipped into the sand bed, but in some places it met resistance. I worked around inside the tank until the water ran fairly clear, no more "yukky" spots found and the sand was easy to slip into all around. Was my filter channelled?
    AquaRite Salt Water System
    18 x 36 - 4ft to 8ft depths
    29,100 inground with vinyl liner
    Zodiac G4 Barracuda
    Haywood Filter s244 - sand
    Two little people standing by the pool wanting to swim!
    Nashville, NC

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Opened my filter for first time today

Sounds like it was clumped and it could have been channelled. You most likely did it a lot of good by doing what you did. Removing the trash and fluffing and resettling the sand.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Jasper, TN

Quote Originally Posted by MOM&POP DIY
    Being very honest, I do not know what "channelled" looks like,
    I'm not having problems with my filter but I too have been curious as to what the channels look like. I've never had the top off my filter (only had it one season so far).

I've also been curious as to how high the sand should be. They say you lose some during backwashing.

So I have been trying to search for pics inside the filter to see what channels look like and also the level and can't find any.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

I saw one before that was a great example and I can't find it now. I wonder if it was removed by the poster...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5
    Jasper, Alabama

For some reason, I'm thinking those pics were under the "hand grenade" guys post which I can't find anymore.
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump