New to me Pool - Couple quick questions

Apr 24, 2010
New house, new pool as of Sep 09. As part of the home purchase, we got a free closing and opening by the company that maintained the pool in the past. We just had it opened and now I'm ready to take care of it myself.

Inground gunite pool. Canister filter, nature 2 filter, automatic chlorinator. Also have a polaris. Everything seems to work just fine. Pool water is clear and clean.

We've been running the filter and polaris for about 8 hours a day since the pool was opened earlier this week. Took my first water test and everything was perfect, but I also got a high bromine result.

Does this mean the pool was once bromine? Any other explanation? This concerns me, because the nature 2 filter is not supposed to be used with bromine.

Could also use recommendations for type of chlorine to use in the chlorinator.

Thanks-

HI there, welcome to the forum. :wave:

First, you should read this article that talks about the N2 - they are an overpriced and entirely unneccessary ionizer system. Take it from a former ionizer user....you can save yourself alot of headaches and especially money by removing it from your circulation system. :wink:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

What are you testing with? Typical chlorine tests also test for bromine -but you can ignore reference to the bromine since it is likely a chlorine pool. You can go to a pool store or somewhere that does water testing and explain you don't know the history of the pool and want to confirm if bromine had been used (I doubt it, since the N2 is present.)

If you have not read Pool School - I suggest you start there. Everything you need to know (and then some :mrgreen: ) is contained in the articles, should you have any other questions or need clarification on anything just post back here.

Can you post a full set of test results? We can give you some advice on your particular levels. :wink:

Welcome to TFP! :-D

I started out just like you did. New house with a pool. Ours also had a N2. I took the cartridge out and left it until it started to leak and I just removed it from the system.

FPM gave good advice. You'll find your answers here.

When you get a chance, consider putting all of your pool details into a signature line. You can access this feature by going to the User Control Panel. This way, you won't have to post your pool specs every time you post and we will all know what you have. We ask that signatures be no more than five lines max please. :)

Enjoy your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.