Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tanning Oil and your pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Tanning Oil and your pool

Hello All Masters, whats the effect of tanning oil in your pool
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tanning Oil and your pool

With heavy pool use, we will see a slight sheen on the surface of the pool water. It's usually gone in a hour or two as my pool has strong skimmer action.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I was told it could damage the filter, pump.... Which I thought was crazy but wanted to ask the experts here to see what you all thought. Also, my cousin said it creates lots of algea... Any thoughts on these assumptions?

4. Back To Top    #4

Just that, assumptions.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Tanning oils and lotions can dirty the filter, but so do other things and filters do require ongoing maintenance. The sole reason that folks get algae is because their pools have inadequate sanitizer levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Tanning oils and lotions can dirty the filter, but so do other things and filters do require ongoing maintenance. The sole reason that folks get algae is because their pools have inadequate sanitizer levels.
    Well that was a much more useful response than mine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I hate sun block / tanning oil ect. It just washes of in my pool and leaves a bath tub ring around my title. I am sure it is coating the filter as well. I try to tell my wife and here friends that the stuff just washes off, but they are sure the will get skin cancer without it. They put it on themselfs, the kids, the dog, the neighbors kids and I have to deal with bathtub ring around my pool. Its not as if I could just get some Ajax soap or dish soap and remove it from the tile, I wouldn't want that stuff in my pool either. I hate tanning oil and sun block.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the replies and both were just fine and along the lines I was already thinking. Why else do we backwash and sanitize....

Have a great weekend We're gonna try to do some swimming if the storms hold out

9. Back To Top    #9

Small amounts of tanning oil, sunblock, etc are hardly noticeable and get broken down by chlorine reasonably quickly.

Medium amounts of oil can be handled by using a Skum Bug or Scumball in the skimmer. They soak up the oil, and need to be cleaned or replaced occasionally.

Large amounts of oil can cause problems such as what atomicdog describes. You can help control major amounts of oil using an enzyme product designed to speed up the breakdown of oils, such as Pool Perfect or ProTeam Power Enzyme.

Really extreme amounts of oil can potentially clog the filter, though this is quite rare.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I suppose in extreme cases, it can end up like the indoor pool where I'm staying. There was a huge pile of scum... looked like shaving cream or cake frosting about 6" high in one corner of the hot tub section. And a rainbow sheen on the pool. Why folks wear sunblock in an indoor pool is beyond me. Maybe it was just moisturizing lotion.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by atomicdog
    I hate sun block / tanning oil ect. It just washes of in my pool and leaves a bath tub ring around my title. I am sure it is coating the filter as well. I try to tell my wife and here friends that the stuff just washes off, but they are sure the will get skin cancer without it. They put it on themselfs, the kids, the dog, the neighbors kids and I have to deal with bathtub ring around my pool. Its not as if I could just get some Ajax soap or dish soap and remove it from the tile, I wouldn't want that stuff in my pool either. I hate tanning oil and sun block.
    Just a word of caution/surprise from a newbie looking at getting a pool, but since it is a fact that sun exposure over time will lead to both benign and malignant types of skin cancer, isn't it worth the protection for skin cancer if you need to clean up the stuff?
    10K IG, Gunite with Wet Edge "Midnight Ocean" pebble surface, with spa, tanning shelf, and fountain. Pentair Intellibrite LED pool and spa lights. Rola-Chem chlorine pump (and tank), Pentair DE "Quad 80" cartridge filter, 400K BTU gas heater, VF Whisperflo, and Legend Pressure Side Cleaner with Pentair booster pump. Using TFTestKit.

12. Back To Top    #12

kellyj, welcome to TFP!

Sunblock, tanning oil, etc isn't a problem for most pools. It all depends on the brands used and how many people are swimming. Most residential pool owners either won't notice any oil, or can keep everything under control easily with a scum bug, even if everyone in the family uses sunblock.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I do get peeved at teenagers who goop themselves up and then immediately jump in the pool, leaving a spreading oil slick on my pristine waters. My rule is wait a half-hour after gooping or take a shower before jumping in. I encourage gooping AFTER dipping, not the reverse.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.