Sand filter laterals

Molson

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2008
Midland, Ontario
I am changing the sand in my Hayward filter, as I don't know when the previous owner did it, and I'm on my 3rd year of ownership. The old sand doesn't look too bad compared to the new stuff, just a little yellow and clumpy at the bottom.

Anyhow, I took the laterals out to clean them, and facilitate removal of all the sand. I noticed that the pipe going from the multi-port, down the the laterals had a crack in the bottom. Now, where the crack is, is where the water would distribute to the laterals, below that is only a hollow space, then back to the sand filter via a cover of the hollow area. (Am I making sense?)

In my opinion, I don't need to worry about it, I may just put a little silicone over the crack and reinstall it. The hollow area had sand in it, I'm assuming for weight to hold the assembly down while refilling the sand.

Am I on the right track?

its hard to understand where the crack is, but no crack is good crack.. well the stuff i used to get from this guy.. ehh never mind. :p

Theres a bit of pressure in those filters, and you may have dirty water getting back into the pool, or even sand. A new lateral assembly isnt too expensive. I would just buy a new one. If you put it all back together and have a problem a week form now.. your going to have to take it all apart again.
Get yourself some pool puddy, repair your current one and keep it as a back up :)

$108.00 later, there is a new lateral assembly in my garage waiting to be installed. I really like that they made the laterals fold up now for installation/removal. The old one was a bit of a pain to screw each one off through the small opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.