Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not your normal pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Not your normal pool

My concrete pool had an old worn out plaster coating. I had a fiberglass lining installed and then painted with expoy paint. The fiberglass is 2 ply which makes it about as thick as a dime. The paint was heavily applied. I'm not sure what my target numbers should be. My last visit to Pinch A Penny got these results: TC 5 (could be higher, their test stops at 5); FC 5; CC 0; pH 7.5; TA 75; CH 280; CYA 70; Dissolved Solids 600; I need someone experienced to give me some target numbers. Central Florida, algae is an area wide problem. I would like to control algae without spending big bucks for algaecide.

steveocombs, IG 30,000, gunite shell w/fiberglass lining; 2- return lines each w/ 100 sq in filter and chemical feeder; both are 38 gpm filter rating; 1 1/2 dual speed pump;
    30,000 IG, Gunite lined with fiberglass; painted with epoxy; (Vinyl)
    Dual 100 sq in cartridge filters, dual chlorinators, 1 1/2 hp two speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not your normal pool

Hi Steve, welcome!
    Your PH, TA, CH and CYA are fine (CYA a little high but prob okay for Florida). What kind of filter is it?

Have you read Pool School? Lots of useful information there. You need to maintain your FC level according to the CYA chart, never letting it go below the "min" level according to your CYA of 70. Provided you keep your FC levels up, you should not experience algae.

We recommend you test with your own kit - there is an article in Pool School that compares the two we recommend. They both contain the FAS-DPD test which can test FC/CC up to 50ppm and is very accurate.

So off to Pool School - should you have any questions at all, just post back here and we'll help ya out!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    We recommend you test with your own kit - there is an article in Pool School that compares the two we recommend. They both contain the FAS-DPD test which can test FC/CC up to 50ppm and is very accurate.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If there is exposed concrete or plaster then treat it as plaster. If there is exposed fiberglass then treat it as fiberglass. If the epoxy paint covers all of the fiberglass and concrete then you can treat the pool as if it was a vinyl liner pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, we are moving forward. Treat the pool as a vinyl liner. That gives me a base to work from. Thanks so much. By the way the filters are cartridge. And when the pump is running on slow speed, the old filter(with 1 1/2 IO) shows 3 lbs pressure while the new filter (with 2" IO) shows zero pressure. On high speed, the old filter pressure guage shows 10 while the new filter shows 7. Seems right by me but the PAP guy thought maybe the new guage wasn't working. Thanks for the help. I'll be back.
    30,000 IG, Gunite lined with fiberglass; painted with epoxy; (Vinyl)
    Dual 100 sq in cartridge filters, dual chlorinators, 1 1/2 hp two speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hi, Steve,

Welcome!! When you post back, tell us how your water looks. Crystal Clear? Cloudy? etc.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School