Is DE safe?

MOM&POP DIY

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
I read that DE for pools is carcinogenic. Is it safe to use in the pool or is it only a respiratory issue when dry. I am thinking of adding a little to my sand filter, but do not want worry of potential harm to the grandbabies.

simicrintz said:
DE is sold at HD in the pool area and the insecticide aisle. I'm just saying........

Just one more reason that I'm a cartridge filter guy :cool:

That's why I switched to cellulose. Even with my new big filter I have to backwash pretty frequently. We have enough DE like material floating around in the air as it is and backwashing without a DE separator was pouring even more stuff into the air and onto soil that gets stirred up when it has traffic.

The main problem as stated is breathing it. Pool DE is mostly silica based which is the main problem for the lungs. DE comes in various types. Many DE products have far, far less silica than Pool grade. All are finished, or baked or ground to different sizes for their particular use. Not all DE has as much silica as Pool grade does. Virtually all DE has moisture sapping properties. That's how the agricultural DE works; by sapping the moisture out of the insect's exoskeleton. Our "soil" and dust has the moisture sapping properties just like DE and really helps to keep the bugs down in the house.

A small amount used in a sand filter should not be a problem. Just don't breath it when putting it in the skimmer to load the filter. Unless there are impurities in the DE it should not put anything harmful into your pool water. If you know someone who has a DE filter see if you can get a cup or so (whatever is needed for your filter) instead of purchasing a big box of it. I've only seen it in 25 lb boxes but it may come smaller.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.