Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is DE safe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is DE safe?

I read that DE for pools is carcinogenic. Is it safe to use in the pool or is it only a respiratory issue when dry. I am thinking of adding a little to my sand filter, but do not want worry of potential harm to the grandbabies.
    AquaRite Salt Water System
    18 x 36 - 4ft to 8ft depths
    29,100 inground with vinyl liner
    Zodiac G4 Barracuda
    Haywood Filter s244 - sand
    Two little people standing by the pool wanting to swim!
    Nashville, NC

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Is DE safe?

DE is only a problem if you breathe in the dust. If this concerns you, wear a woodworking type dust mask when getting DE out of the container. Other than that, there isn't any danger.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

DE is sold at HD in the pool area and the insecticide aisle. I'm just saying........

Just one more reason that I'm a cartridge filter guy

4. Back To Top    #4

North Central Texas

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    DE is sold at HD in the pool area and the insecticide aisle. I'm just saying........

Just one more reason that I'm a cartridge filter guy
    That's why I switched to cellulose. Even with my new big filter I have to backwash pretty frequently. We have enough DE like material floating around in the air as it is and backwashing without a DE separator was pouring even more stuff into the air and onto soil that gets stirred up when it has traffic.

The main problem as stated is breathing it. Pool DE is mostly silica based which is the main problem for the lungs. DE comes in various types. Many DE products have far, far less silica than Pool grade. All are finished, or baked or ground to different sizes for their particular use. Not all DE has as much silica as Pool grade does. Virtually all DE has moisture sapping properties. That's how the agricultural DE works; by sapping the moisture out of the insect's exoskeleton. Our "soil" and dust has the moisture sapping properties just like DE and really helps to keep the bugs down in the house.

A small amount used in a sand filter should not be a problem. Just don't breath it when putting it in the skimmer to load the filter. Unless there are impurities in the DE it should not put anything harmful into your pool water. If you know someone who has a DE filter see if you can get a cup or so (whatever is needed for your filter) instead of purchasing a big box of it. I've only seen it in 25 lb boxes but it may come smaller.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine