StuartPool

In The Industry
Apr 20, 2010
I have a 15,500 pool
Solar panels
Vaccuum on same line
True 1.5 hp pump
Getting great flows now

I have a Hayward C900 filter on the system. It does a good job but needs to be cleanned quite frequently anywhere for 1 to 2 time a week. (Ok I admint I like to see it clean)

I was using a DE tank prior to swithing over to the cartridge tank.
DE seemed to keep it much cleaner to me.

I am thinking about adding another C900 cartridge filter in line with the other filter. Therefore having 2 filters for this one pool.

I dont think I will have any problems maintaining a good psi as I run 20 to 25 psi now. Thats normal for my pool as I have a steap rise to the solar panels. I know its at the top of the chart for reccomended psi in this filter bit It does ok with it . Has not blown out a filter yet.

Is there any value to adding the extra filter or just a waste of energy and money.

Thanks

I don't think it would accomplish anything. The first filter would catch everything and get dirty. The second filter would probably remain clean, since anything big enough to get caught already is stuck in the first filter.

I don't think you'd help yourself by running them inline (series). However if you ran them parallel you'd effectively double your filter area. The added benefit of this would be that you'd reduce the head across them too (at least until they got plugged).

StuartPool said:
It does a good job but needs to be cleanned quite frequently anywhere for 1 to 2 time a week. (Ok I admint I like to see it clean)

I was using a DE tank prior to swithing over to the cartridge tank.
DE seemed to keep it much cleaner to me.

I am thinking about adding another C900 cartridge filter in line with the other filter.

If DE kept it cleaner, why add a second cartridge? Why not go back to DE?

If DE kept it cleaner, why add a second cartridge? Why not go back to DE?
Our filter went bad. Took the advise of a sales person for ease of use.

I don't think you'd help yourself by running them inline (series). However if you ran them parallel you'd effectively double your filter area. The added benefit of this would be that you'd reduce the head across them too (at least until they got plugged).
Not quite sure what you mean inline vs parrallel

as it is

in from pool --- pump ---out to filter -- up to solar--down to pool

as it would be setup

in from pool --- pump ---out to filter --in to 2nd filter --- up to solar--down to pool

Thinking more about it I dont think it would matter much since the first filter has its micron filter limits. Guess if the first filter was not as efficient as the second there would be some benefit.

The way you explain it would be series (one behind the other flow wise) and you're right, unless the second filter in the series is smaller mesh than the first it'll not catch anything because the first will get it all.

Parallel won't filter any finer it just places the two filters side by side in the stream so you could go longer between cleanings.

Melt In The Sun said:
The sketch below shows parallel vs. series. This is for electricity, but the concept is the same. Battery = pump, lamps = filters.

Very good info there.
I think that I might have problems with balancing the water flow through each canister and I really dont want to make it that complex, so unfortunatly Im just going to have to clean as I always did lol
Guess it was a good thought, at least to me
Thanks

StuartPool said:
Melt In The Sun said:
The sketch below shows parallel vs. series. This is for electricity, but the concept is the same. Battery = pump, lamps = filters.

Very good info there.
I think that I might have problems with balancing the water flow through each canister and I really dont want to make it that complex, so unfortunatly Im just going to have to clean as I always did lol
Guess it was a good thought, at least to me
Thanks

I don't think you'd need to worry about balance. If one filter were getting more flow, it would get dirty faster and start building pressure, which would bias flow towards the other filter. I imagine it works the same way inside a filter with multiple carts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.