Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash

Okay, am I missing something here, or does backwashing the filter simply pump the water through the filter backwards through a waste "outlet" instead of back into the pool?

The reason I ask is I just spent 2 hours cleaning all of my cartridges from my cartridge filter and was thinking a backwash would work similarily for them as well and wonderign why they don't set cartridge filters up to backwash. . .seems it would be easier, IMHO.
    18K Gallon In Ground Gunite Pool, Quartz/Plaster Finish, 8' Spa with Spillover, 1 Grotto/Waterfall, Hayward/Goldline PS8 controller, 1.5 HP Two Speed Pump, 1HP Booster Pump for Grotto/Waterfall, Cartridge Filter,400K BTU Nat Gas Heater, Ozonator,3 Multi-Color LED Lights (Spa, Grotto, Pool).

Ozonator is not functioing, evaluating my options, either fix it or get a new one or drop it completely.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Backwash

There is no backwashing for a cartridge filter. Cartridge filters do not a "Valve" attached to filter. Must remove lid and cartridges and wash them off. Hope this helps.
    Mike
    River Brook Pools & Spas, Inc.
    www.riverbrookpools.com

3. Back To Top    #3

You are correct that backwashing runs the water backwards through the filter out the waste port. But cartridge filters don't take as well to a backwash, the debris will still remain lodged in the cartridges, they have to be removed to be cleaned/replaced.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Backwashing a cartridge will usually destroy the cartridge, which is why they don't put backwash valves on cartridge filters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay. Thanks for all the replies, just an idle thought. Now I understand.
    18K Gallon In Ground Gunite Pool, Quartz/Plaster Finish, 8' Spa with Spillover, 1 Grotto/Waterfall, Hayward/Goldline PS8 controller, 1.5 HP Two Speed Pump, 1HP Booster Pump for Grotto/Waterfall, Cartridge Filter,400K BTU Nat Gas Heater, Ozonator,3 Multi-Color LED Lights (Spa, Grotto, Pool).

Ozonator is not functioing, evaluating my options, either fix it or get a new one or drop it completely.