Finally Plumbed my AGP with PVC

Mike, Nice looking job. I did that myself last year, and it was the best thing I have done. Last weekend I did away with the hose for the back wash and hard piped it in also. Used a union at the filter so I can remove it when not being used.

Heckpools said:
you do nice work sir.

Neat, clean, and straight!

no more hose clamps, and teflon tape for you!

what a cool idea to have 2 returns, except that bottom one much be a B**** to plug for the winter! lol
Heckpools said:
I would have charged someone around $150 plus parts for that.

You diy'ers can save alot of $$$

Thanks for the compliment! Yep, it gets a tad bit cold plugging that bottom one for winter, for sure.

Yes, we diy'ers can save some $$$, plus we get the satisfaction of doing it and making sure it's done right. :goodjob:

Poolidiot said:
Mike, Nice looking job. I did that myself last year, and it was the best thing I have done. Last weekend I did away with the hose for the back wash and hard piped it in also. Used a union at the filter so I can remove it when not being used.

Thanks! Gotta love those unions.. :goodjob:

ok, I am jealous. Very nice looking job. I am wanting to plumb mine this year also. My problem is that the fittings on my skimmer, pump and return are molded barbed fittings that are not screwed in, so I am stuck with transitioning from those fittings to PVC. If I can figure that out, the rest will go pretty fast. Got any ideas how to go about the transition? I looked at those rubber couplings that are supposed to be only for sewer lines and other no pressure applications. But the 1 1/4" one seemed a little loose and I wasn't sure if I could compress it enough with the supplied hose clamp. The compression fittings don't seem to fit very well either. Either way, I want to get away from the stupid pool hoses this year. I have had several either blow off or split. So any feedback would be appreciated.

in most cases those barbed fittings can be unscrewed, you then just replace it with 1.5" sch 40 male fittings with pipe dope or teflon tape. If you have a pic, maybe we can help you out further.

Mike, Looks great! I never even thought about doing that, but I think I have a new weekend project!

My question is what type of connection do you use where the line goes into the pool. Since it is threaded, is there a pvc threaded piece?

Thanks!

jyachera said:
Mike quick question what fittings did you use to hook up to the SWG I can't seem to find any fitting that work.

Also your set up look great.

My Intex uses 2" slip/threaded fittings (one male, one female). I used a 2" to 1 1/2" slip/slip bushing glued inside the 2" fittings to get back to 1 1/2", and then glued 1 1/2" sch40 pipe inside the bushing to connect to the rest of my plumbing.

Jimh64 said:
Mike, Looks great! I never even thought about doing that, but I think I have a new weekend project!

My question is what type of connection do you use where the line goes into the pool. Since it is threaded, is there a pvc threaded piece?

Thanks!

Yes, there is. 1 1/2" slip/threaded adapter. Threaded end goes into the return fitting, sch40 pipe glued into slip end, and then valve glued onto other end of pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, this is the way to go - ours was 90% hard plumbed last year and the final 10% this year. Neat, tidy, efficient

Ok, newbie question. This may sound stupis as I just ordered my 24' round pool, but what are you guys disconnecting for the wintertime? Do you take the pump and filter out and with those shutoff valves you shouldnt have much of a problem getting wet doing it. BTW your set-up is nice.

Brian

We drain our filter, cover and leave it for the winter. The pump is drained and brought in. SWG controller and cell are disconnected and brought in. The valves make EVERY kind of maintenance a much drier affair than it used to be!

For wintertime, I disconnect and drain the pump, filter, and SWG (hence the unions to take it all apart), and store everything up in my attic. I used to put a winterizing plug in the bottom return and then drain down the water to below the upper return, but this year I bought an aquadoor for the skimmer, so I'll snap the cover in place to keep water out of the skimmer, plug the upper and lower returns with winterizing plugs, and then open up all three valves to make sure there isn't any water trapped in the pipes.

Like NWMNMom said, the valves help keep you dry with all maintenance you do. Turn off all three, and you can take the lid off of the pump's leaf pot and clean it out without water gushing everywhere.

[attachment=0:28tdhpt9]photo 1.JPG[/attachment:28tdhpt9]Question for you: I am trying to pvc pipe my 15' X 4' Intex Metal Set pool. I have a 633 and can't figure out who to connect the pvc to my pump. I saw your Intex SWG, how did you do it? My pump has those stupid 3/4 threaded... things... See picture.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 333
Unionization

Just a couple tips about unions ---Lowes sells ball valves with a union built right into the valve. That saves you fromneeding a separate union, and makes it easy to clean or replace a valve if needed . Look for the ones with the white handles. They come in 1 1/2" and 2", in single union (union on one side of the valve) or double union (both sides unionized) They are only about $7-8, cheaper than the regular ones with the red or black handles and I think they turn more easily. Mine have held up for years without a problem in spite of the fact that I use them in partially open positions. I just wish they made them in 3-way, which they don't. Home Depot doesn't have them

Also, If your pump inlet/outlet ports have both 1 1/2 female threads, AND larger male threads on the outside, there is probably a "union kit" available for it. This is a set of two one sided union fittings with collars which attach to the port, which makes up the other side of the union. My kit was only $14 (Hayward). Again, no need for a separate union and makes for easy removal of the pump.

[attachment=0:v3v5fkz2]photo 1.JPG[/attachment:v3v5fkz2]Question for you: I am trying to pvc pipe my 15' X 4' Intex Metal Set pool. I have a 633 and can't figure out who to connect the pvc to my pump. I saw your Intex SWG, how did you do it? My pump has those stupid 3/4 threaded... things... See picture.

My SWCG just had 2" fittings, so it was pretty easy to do. It looks like the inlet and outlet of yours is designed to use the hoses provided with the unit, and nothing else. Hose slides up to the stop and then a threaded compression ring screws on to the 3/4 threaded things to pull the hose tight against the stop, right? I can't think of a pvc connector that you could use to connect to that, sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.